Question: Who Done It?

metalchipper

Elite Cafe Member
A Marlin collector brought this to me to identify the engraver. No signatures could be found and no factory records can be found.
I think it is "Factory engraved, and stock carved"
But then, what do I know?
Made in 1954, serial # L10174.
The barrel stamping is
"The Marlin Firearms Co ET.1878
New Haven Conn. USA----Model 39A
Cal 22SL LR ----Micro Groove"
The finish is rough with machining marks and the engraving is rough with raised burrs in a few spots.
Thanks for your time and expertise. Right rec.jpg Left rec.jpg Barrel.jpg Stock carving.jpg Stock.jpg ."

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
While the style of engraving is different from others I have seen in this era I am guessing this is what I call a "cigarette gun".
In the 50s and early 60s the GIs would get gun engraving done in Japan or Korea for next to nothing. Usually they would trade for cartons of cigarettes as it allowed a common exchange rate plus American cigarettes were always a luxury to them. Surprisingly a job like this could be done for a couple of cartons of cigarettes back then. The work usually was bold and brash and had lots of coverage including the barrel. Most of them I have seen include stock carving as well. The guns done were usually something the GI could purchase at the PX like Winchester Model 12s, Model 70s or in this case a Marlin.
Most of the engraving was a bit deeper and more "Germanic" but perhaps the customer wanted more of an "American" look.
I have seen tons of these over the years come in my shop and the story always seems to be the same as cigarettes used as monetary device.
Rex

Last edited:

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'm with Rex on this one. I have seen that scroll before. The leaves of the scroll look like little snakes. It is common on Japanese engraved guns that the background is cut out with one or two swipes of a flat. I almost never see a Japanese engraved gun with a beaded or stippled background. The gun may or may not have been engraved in Japan. In the 1970s there were several Japanese engravers who worked in the US. A few worked for Bob Eisenstark who operated REI Engraving in Illinois and Ken Eyster who employed Sam Kinamuchi, in Ohio.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I should have added that "factory engraved" post war Marlins were engraved on contract by Bob Kain whose style is very distinctive.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
While the style of engraving is different from others I have seen in this era I am guessing this is what I call a "cigarette gun".
In the 50s and early 60s the GIs would get gun engraving done in Japan or Korea for next to nothing. Usually they would trade for cartons of cigarettes as it allowed a common exchange rate plus American cigarettes were always a luxury to them. Surprisingly a job like this could be done for a couple of cartons of cigarettes back then. The work usually was bold and brash and had lots of coverage including the barrel. Most of them I have seen include stock carving as well. The guns done were usually something the GI could purchase at the PX like Winchester Model 12s, Model 70s or in this case a Marlin.
Most of the engraving was a bit deeper and more "Germanic" but perhaps the customer wanted more of an "American" look.
I have seen tons of these over the years come in my shop and the story always seems to be the same as cigarettes used as monetary device.
Rex

never got engraving that way, but i could get 5 bottles of rum for 1 pack, any brand. beyond conus, a carton cost a buck ! easy to do then, as there were few tourist "traps" in the areas i went to.

Sponsors