GRS system 3 questions ?

I have been looking at the system 3 & the accessories look cheap...... Since i am in the auto painting field - I have alot nicer regulator & filtration setups (besides the $20 one they're asking $90 for) & the foot pedal seems flimsy..... I see other pneumatic foot pedals with 1/4" hoses that are made of aluminum..... I can use those instead of the $130 piece they have to offer) ??????

I do tattoos as well so the foot pedal is a familiar process for me...... Thanks for any feedback if you reply.. I try to search as much info as possible before asking questions but not finding much in depth info for the entry level stuff.....

What about other hand pieces ?? Is there something else besides the GRS system 3 with foot control ????? Thanks again

Omar Haltam

Elite Cafe Member
Lindsay classic with foot petal
at lindsayengraving.com

and Enset machine at Tira Mitchell's web site engraver.com

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
BlueberyBob,Get anything but a system-3 GRS graver Max Lindsay Ngraver the system is useless for engraving. J.J.

I am just looking to do automotive stuff that is significantly less detailed as on rifles/ect...... Maybe afterwards I would like to invest into the more expensive systems for high detail work....

Basic easy stuff like this... I just don't see a $2000 engraver being needed for this kind of work - Its cheesy in know but this is the level that I know i can start at to get the feel for it... Perhaps upgrading later on.. This is why i figured the $300-$500 systems would be adequate .

Last edited:

Boomhower

Elite Cafe Member
You want to get by cheap get you a hammer and chisle there is some very fine work being done this way
Have you seen the Ngraver tool it runs on a flex shaft and way more people like it then the grs system 3

http://www.ngraver.com

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Once you get good at engraving you'll want to upgrade from your System 3 and you'll get nothing for it on the used market. I would encourage you to save up until you can get a better system. The GRS GraverSmith is light years better than their System 3.

Adder

Elite Cafe Member
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that the part that is on your photo is made of plastic, and you don't need anything else than a hand graver for doing that type of work?

Jørn-Ove

oiseau metal arts

Elite Cafe Member
you want entry level.... hammer and chisel is it.
you want pneumatic assist.... open up your wallet... GRS... Lindsay... Enset.... they are all great, and each have their unique features, but also going to set you back $2000-$3000+ to get set up.

no mater if you get the $3000 set up, or $50 hammer chisel set, don't think your going to be turning out sellable work right away.
even though for some reason most people think hand engraving is just like doing tattoos, they are nothing alike. even drawing is different once you start seeing things in relation to what tool geometry you are going to cut with and how the line will actually look when you cut it.
be ready for this. its going to take a lot of practice. also... bigger parts doesn't always mean easier engraving.

but you work with essentially what is a giant airbrush, and you do tattoo work, so maybe I'm wrong, and engraving will come naturally to you

Its for personal use.. I want My own personal style & design work on my car parts.. The picture was a reference as I thought it was initially a side mirror - never the less it depicts the simple form of engraving wanted at this time.... Will I get into a fancy scroll work on a knife or rifle ?? Perhaps ,, I definitely have the creative ability & the familiarity of other forms of hand/eye artworks.... Its for personal use / trial & error... Thanks for the info - I will keep trying to search as much as possible as well..

This is what I am looking at doing.. Deep basic cuts - only in a different style than this guy.... Like I said I'm looking for my own personal touches on my car.....

Mild grade steel - 1/8" - 1/4" thick that will be buffed & chromed so I need deep grooves. Not the intricate work found on guns/knives ect....

https://youtu.be/LvWZ0DbVp5s

Last edited: