Announcement: 639 Project removed

Riflesmith

Elite Cafe Member
I just wanted to let you all know that I removed my 639 Project thread and I would like to thank all those who liked it and commented on it.

The reasons I removed it are twofold; 1) I didn't want those Engravers or those new to engraving to assume that what I was doing is ok for everyone. I retain an 07 Manufacturers license and with that license have the latitude to engrave and modify receivers including the numbers and identifying marks as per regulations. 2) The amount of PM's I received questioning the work on the identifying numbers and marks.

Just for informational purposes I would like to state, as per the BATFE regulations, a person who retains an 07 Manufacturers license can move or alter the serial number and identifying marks on the receiver of a firearm and the BATFE recommends the orginal serial number be retained on the receiver of the firearm. That, my friends, is straight from the BATFE.

Again is like to thank all those who liked and commented on my earlier thread and those who sent me PM's.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
nice of you to retract that. there are newbs, i suppose, that may get into trouble attempting to do that. by all means continue posting work that you do.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
I would second Monks plea... don't let one ignorant post deter you.

Often times people will respond without true knowledge or facts pertaining to what they are stating.

I have done it myself many times, but when I realize it - am quick to retract it and make whatever apologies or reparations that can be made.

Brian

Riflesmith

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks! I'll continue to post here and there, but I must say, those who have stood upon a soap box and preached the rights and wrongs of the law and do not know the law themselves cripple their credibility in my eyes. Nuff said!

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
Richard, I have a 07 FFL so I know you are right do you put your name and address on or your shop name? Let us see it when finished.
Thanks, Leland

Riflesmith

Elite Cafe Member
I'll use my business name and address. It's also my own firearm and I have no intention to sell it when it's done and will use it as a show piece.....and to take to the range now and then. After all, it'll still shoot.

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks! I'll continue to post here and there, but I must say, those who have stood upon a soap box and preached the rights and wrongs of the law and do not know the law themselves cripple their credibility in my eyes. Nuff said!

Happens all too frequently on any forum I've been on. All we can do is try and be patient and educate the public in a humble attempt to cure them from their apathetic ignorance. The folks that do that sort of thing would rather spout off something they heard someplace without regard to its validity rather than research anything that would require effort and seek out the truth.

It is in our best interest to gently show them the folly in that by pointing them to the truth in a manner that won't insult them but will hopefully make them think twice about being outspoken and willfully ignorant at the same time on such a convoluted subject again.

Idaho Flint

Elite Cafe Member
I am sorry to see you removed it as I was very interested in seeing it as you worked on it, and completed it. I hope that you may allow us to see the finished product sometime in the future.

I do understand why you removed it. It is sad when some who do not know the rules, try to tell others what they are. :)

Mike

Gargoyle

Official Cafe Stone Carver
I'm sorry I missed the original thread. I hope you'll post finished photos- just do some detail photos that can avoid showing the issue of the numbers and marks, so anyone new to the discussion and the subject won't have anything to jump on.

Latest posts

Sponsors