This pendant is silver with 23K gold, 1.25" x 1.25". Where I have inlaid gold this would abalone shell inlay, according to tradition. The old masters did amazing work with abalone shell inlay. It has taken me a while to figure out the best way to use inlay, and this piece is getting closer. I want to use inlay wire in future pieces.

I work from a sketch and free hand draw the design onto the metal. The Northwest coast Native style is complex, and learning to create a well coposed, flowing design takes a long time to learn. I was a wood carver first, and I have been an artist for 30 years.

Attachments

• salmon_pendant_david_neel_w.jpg
    salmon_pendant_david_neel_w.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 208

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i would say you have done an excellent job carrying on the traditions of the art form. as far as engraving goes, it is a marvelous execution of the chosen design. i know from my studies, to you this is far more than a mere design. your work is always a joy to see.

looks very nice, do you use a hammer and chisel or air graver?
very nice looking designs

Hi Omar. I use an air graver and micrscope. Actually, much of my technique was learnt by following the posts on this forum. I was engraving for many years before I became aware of the level of work being done on knives and guns, and incorporated some of those techniques into my work.

Boomhower

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Omar. I use an air graver and micrscope. Actually, much of my technique was learnt by following the posts on this forum. I was engraving for many years before I became aware of the level of work being done on knives and guns, and incorporated some of those techniques into my work.

It is very inspirational to see your work and that you learned and combined your native work in to what you have learned here. I am just beginning my self and this forum and the members have helped me and so many others learn and try to push the limits of engraving
Keep up your awesome work can't wate to see your next project