Question: Engraving an oval but cap on 14 inch Bowie knife

mmcfarlin

I have a request to engrave the but cap on a large 14 inch Bowie knife but dont have a clue on how to hold it in my GRS low profile vise to engrave it. Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks
Michael

Attachments

• Bowie Knife.jpg
    Bowie Knife.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 288

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Several ideas have appeared on here over the years. These two come to mind... but may not be of much use to you?

One is a block custom made with a "through hole" in both the block and whatever it was supported on and another had drilled through a bowling ball, I believe? Then he set the thing up in thermal plastic in a ring base with supports under it for the blade to clear.

Any which way you do it - if you do it ON the knife - charge EXTRA!

(Unless of course you are yer own customer, in which case you may get to hold it between yer knees...)

The best option would be to remove the cap, if that is possible?

Brian

Last edited:

Boomhower

Elite Cafe Member
Slick idea with the bearing
A way I seen on a knife page is to make wooden jaws for your ball vise the length of the knife and they used leather and thermal plastic to encase the knife and extra clamps to hold it together at the top
I will see if I can fined the photos for you

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i think it was jj that showed a rig he had made for this type work. should be in the tip section.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
my apology to mr finley. it was he that did the gadget for knives. sorry, bob--- just losing my mind

Latest posts

Sponsors