Favorite aluminum alloy to engrave?

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
Brian, I have not really tried to determine that question. The aluminum I have came from the scrap box at a metals/welding shop in Grand Junction and that which is marked has always be marked 6061, if memory serves...which it does sometimes.

PS...after getting used to working in aluminum I have found it engraves and polishes and takes detail very well!

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Thanks Sam,

I've worked the 6061 before and I have a little stock left. It works fine...

But it's time to order some more aluminum, and I just wondered if'n there might be sumthin' even better?

If no one has any other/better suggestions, I'll stick with it. Only one client wants his stuff made out of it...

It's a pretty much ignored metal among engravers, which is sad - because as you've shown on the guitar, amazing things can be done with it!

Brian

thughes

Brian, I've done aluminum butt plates for benchrest guns where some classes have weight limits and ounces are precious. I just used the stuff you can buy at home depot. It's cheap enough and easy to get. Seems to cut much smoother with lube. I tried to do some gold inlay like TOS, but it didn't go well.

Todd

SamW

Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
Todd, I have found a good anti-seize lube works well, my favorite being Never-Seez but Speedway sells some very similar that works well also.

I find that liberal use of the lube allows heavy burnishing without galling.

I also kept the gold inlays rather small though the rose buds were done with .020 wire if memory serves, may have been .016. The undercuts were done with a scribe, rather strongly and the gold pressed in where I could or lightly tapped in with a small punch. Took a bit of practice.

tim halloran

Elite Cafe Member
Brian: 6061-T6 is an aircraft quality heat treated alloy. I've engraved a boat load of it, anodized and powder coated, used as motor cycle parts. Made my own Harley parts from it and found it to be the best aluminum alloy for engraving that I could find. I live about 20 miles from one of the worlds largest aluminum mills, Alcoa Riverdale works, in Riverdale Iowa. I had a friend who worked there that could get it for me at scrap prices. Bought a couple of 4x8 sheets one eighth inch thick. It polishes beautifully and engraves easily if you use a good lubricant, such as Tap Magic for aluminum or WD-40. I also have engraved 2024 and 7075 but did not like it as it was gummy and would cold weld onto the tool worse than 6061-T6. YMMV

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Thanks guys... looks like 6061 wins, hands down.

So, I'll just re-order the same sheet & bar stock we've always used for this client.

Had there been a recommendation for a better (probably more expensive) one - I could've "experimented" on his dime(s).

There is a pretty huge profit to be made on his product and he wouldn't have minded paying a few bucks more...

Brian

Sponsors