Question: Material for steel buckles and conchos

jbrayout

Hello all,
I have the privilege of taking a class this week with Sam Alfano. I would like to make a buckle and conchos out of steel.
Sam suggested I ask you what type of steel to use, suppliers, and method used to solder on backs etc.? Where would I send the piece to blacken it?
Sam's class is awesome! Great instructor relaxing environment.
Thanks for your help.
Jenny

Jesse.beckham

Elite Cafe Member
A quick easy way would be stevesfinethings.com he has several precut buckles and conchos, among other things. Good prices too. Unless you're set on cutting your own right away. I typically but his concho blanks just for the shear ease. I don't have a way to punch out steel round blanks, and using my jewelers saw cutting them grew old very fast.

As far as soldering, I use high temp solder to put Chicago screws on the backs of conchos. This is a pretty easy step using the right flux and heat.

When you say blackening I assume you mean Bluing? If so there are a couple different methods of doing that. The easiest and cheapest would be a cold blue solution, which can be picked up at most sporting goods locations, i.e. Gander mountain, academy, cabelas, bass pro.
Second would be hot bluing, which I know little about. But there is quite a bit of Info on both these methods on Brownells site along with all the products to do it.

Good luck, I'm sure some others on here can give much better recommendations and specifics.

Be sure to keep us all updated on your class with Sam!

Last edited:

bronc

Elite Cafe Member
I use 4130 for nearly everything, but it's expensive, not readily available, and it's overkill if you are just starting out. I would suggest 1018 cold rolled which is very common and affordable. Two online sources are Speedy Metals and Online Metals. I use either 1/8" or 10 gauge for buckles and 14 gauge for keepers and conchos. You can either Tig weld or silver solder your backs and hardware on. You can color the metal yourself with cold bluing or you could take it to a gunsmith and have them hot blue it. Brownells for bluing, any jewelry supplier for solders. Good luck.

Stewart

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
ordinary mild steel-- easy to cut, shape, and engrave. brownells will send you a bottle for just a few bucks. as mentioned, it is available in most locales. hi temp prazing solder works great for this work. i get most of my solder at a local welding supply co. usually 2 or 3 grades are available.

jbrayout

I saw the pictures of the Spurs you made, Beautiful work. what products do you use to put on the overlays? Thanks
Jenny

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
Jenny for bluing Mark Lee express blue works very well it does require boiling the parts in water. you can purchase it from Brownells. Fairly simple to use and leaves a very durable finish.
Leland

Jesse.beckham

Elite Cafe Member
Jenny for bluing Mark Lee express blue works very well it does require boiling the parts in water. you can purchase it from Brownells. Fairly simple to use and leaves a very durable finish.
Leland

Thanks for the info on the Mark Lee products! I was unaware of his products until this post. I've got some ordered and on the way! Should beat the hell outta the super blue I pick up at Academy. Thanks!

ciscokid

Second on the Mark Lee. I have used both the blue and brown on guns/components and it turns out fantastically. It is a bit labor intensive in as much as you don't just dip and go but the beauty of the process is that it is non-toxic unlike other methods and it's tough as nails. for small pieces you could do them in an old pot on your stove. Just make sure to use distilled water. Additionally, it will wear significantly better than any cold blue I have ever used.

Latest posts

Sponsors