Model 66 Winchester

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Wish it was bigger so we could see the detail. Looks good though from what I can see. I have a pair of Henry rifles that I'm going to do in the period style for my boys when my skills are up to the task.

Andrew Biggs

Looks great JJ.

Love those tools. Are they curley maple hadles?

Great photo as well. Is that a Uberti yellowboy, if so, what was the metal like to engrave?

A very merry Christmas to you

Cheers
Andrew

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Andrew..the yellowboy is a Uberti..made in Italy. Not bad at all to engrave.
They make some beautiful reproductions in Italy. The hammer and chisel handles are both curly maple which I crafted from scratch. I replaced all my hammer handles with curly maple.

Tim..You may see a better picture of this gun on my website:

MERRY CHRISTMAS & HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL!!!

Yours truly,
JJ Roberts-Manassas
School of Artistic Engraving
www.angelfire.com/va2/engraver

SharpGraver

Elite Cafe Member
JJ as always that is a beautiful piece. Am I understanding that that style of rifle is still available from an Italian manufacture?

Ken Hurst

Elite Cafe Member
Tim ------- I have engraved a Henry in the past. I won't ever cut another one !!! The finish is a gold/brass lac. that is sprayed on with a clear coat on top of that. Once you get through all the paint , all you have is Alum. frame. It has to be sent back to Henry in N.Y. ( Brooklyn) and they send it on to whoever spray paints them. If you attempt to do any fine detail forget it --- the paint will fill it in somewhat. Ken

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ken,
I assume the gun you did was one of the 22 rifles? They are indeed a clear coat. The same company also makes some larger frame rifles that are brass. Both of these are not to be confused with the "Henry" reproductions made by Uberti.

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Nice classic look JJ. JJ are the uberti's solid brass recievers?
Ken are you saying that the Henry's have a painted on finish. What is the base metal? Just curious. Seems to me if the finish is painted on the gun isn't worth a crap.
Mike

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Tim...Ken is absolutely right about these Henry's. I remember a FEGA newsletter where our historian Bob Evans warned us about this Henry rifle, and not to attempt to engrave it.

Mike...The Uberti's are solid brass, and very easy to engrave...I had no problem at all. The only thing I didn't do was remove the barrel, I was afraid of damaging the frame.

Stay away from these Henry rifles..if you are not sure of a firearm feel free to ask some of the firearms that are made today are have some strange metals so beware...that is why I like to work on the old classic firearms.

Thank you for the nice comments.

Yours truly,
JJ Roberts-Manassas, VA
School of Artistic Engraving
www.angelfire.com/va2/engraver

Ken Hurst

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Rex, yeah, it was a .22 and I'll never touch one again. Didn;t know they were also made in Brass too.

Tim, the .22 frames ARE painted and are aluminum ---- stay away from cutting them. Ken

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ok, there is a relatively newer company called Henry that manufactures some long guns in the old Winchester style. They are cheap compared to the Uberti copies both in price and quality.

What I was referring to is a Uberti made replica of an 1860 B.Tyler Henry rifle which is solid brass. I have heard those horror stories about the little Henry firearms company rifles being pot metal or something under a brass plate. I'd hate to run into that!

Uberti makes some fine replicas and as far as I'm concerned better than the original in the case of the Henry as it shoots modern rounds, the originals shot a 44 rimfire which are low powered and extinct. That big brass reciever on a Henry or Yellow Boy sure makes a nice canvas! I can hardly wait to engrave the pair I have for my boys.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
JJ: The photo's a bit small...can you upload one that shows detail? I'd really like to see more of your work. / ~Sam

Yves Halliburton

Elite Cafe Member
MFG Notes

As Tim said the Henry is a Model of a rifle not to be confused with the Henry Repeating Co. and is a new company (http://henryrepeating.com/index.cfm). This company does produce some steel frame models but they are not even close to the original model in design. Little bit of History here: The original HENRY RIFLE was manufactured by the Henry Firearms Co from 1860-1865 (Owner being Oliver Winchester). The Company then became know as THE WINCHESTER REPEATING ARMS CO. From there the 1866 was introduced, that is a Henry Rifle with the Kings Patent loading port. Same mechanical rifle in brass frame and both were in 44 Rimfire. The next model was the famous 1873 Winchester. Same mechanical as the other two but in iron frame (and later in steel) and introducied the 44 WCF (Winchester Center Fire) or 44-40. Thats 44 cal. with 40 grains of blackpowder. There were three different models of the 1873 produced over its lifetime. Here's a note: The Uberties, for the majority, are imported by the following companies: Cimarron FA, Navy Arms, Taylor & Co. There might be a few more. All are manufactured by Uberti Arms of Italy and are of good quality. Some have slight differences depending on the importer but are for the majority the same.

Last edited:

KSnyder

Elite Cafe Member
JJ, beautiful chisel work on the Henry, I really like the classic design.
Btw, on your website that mod. 51 S&W is the Best!
thanks for showing,
Kent

Yves Halliburton

Elite Cafe Member
Note: If anyone has questions regarding WINCHESTERS I probably can answer it for you. I am far from an expert, but I have been collecting originals for the past 30 years.

Kerry Bogan

Hi JJ
Nice job, I would also like to see a closer view if possible. I'm currently working on a Stevens 25 and a Rogers and Spencer pistol both original.

Latest posts

Sponsors