Iron Inlay?

rmgreen

Elite Cafe Member
Are iron wire inlays done in the same manner as are the precious/nonferrous metals? I am interested in the non-soldered methods of small wire inlays. Soft iron wire in the smaller diameters (less than .062") sources?

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
Yes Roger. I use wire that is smaller than you mention. Anything under a millimeter in diameter can be (with patience) drawn through a carbide draw plate to the size needed. If over the above size it can be filed to size with time. Brownells used to sell iron or soft steel wire for hanging parts in a bluing tank.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Once upon a time, the twist ties that came with garbage bags and such, used to have soft iron wire in them. We'd burn off the paper and use the remaining wire...

Like I said - "once upon a time". Whether that is still true and such things are still circulating in the modern day world, I do not know.

We have a drawer full of the things. They belong to the same family as wire coat hangers, and seem to multiply in dark places...

Brian

Iron "binding wire" also used to be available from jewelers supply houses...

It was used for exactly that purpose, binding parts into position for soldering.

It too, may be out of fashion these days?

Last edited:

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have used picture hanging wire unraveled. The pieces are about .020 diameter. Probably nobody knows more about iron wire inlay than Sam W. You can buy his video on the FEGA web site. It is worth many times what it cost. One thing you need to know is when inlaying iron wire you need a cavity with vertical or inverted sides. A [V] shaped groove won't work. If you draw iron wire you need to anneal it afterwards and then clean off the oxide.

rmgreen

Elite Cafe Member
The reason for the iron inlay is that I made a mistake and polished through to the end of a screw and now the threaded hold shows up with a very fine line to a larger line (thread depth). I need to cover this error up so the line is not so obvious. I will be stippling this area but I know the stippling will not cover up the wide part of this line. Then this area will be rust blued (blackened). I just panic this am when I did this!!!!!!!:mad:

For sue I will go on the FEGA site tonight and order Sam's DVD.

Thanks to all who responded as all provided sources to find the soft iron wire that concerned me as much as making the inlay cuts.

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
Roger, if I understand what you have described, that was a "blind hole" screw and you polished down the outer surface to the point it is no longer a "blind hole". Is this correct? Does the whole end of the screw show now?

rmgreen

Elite Cafe Member
Yes, Sam you have said exactly what happened. the whole end of the screw is exposed and now polished. RmG

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If you know someone in construction, namely the ironworking trade, get some of their left over tie-wire used to tie together rebar.

Bill

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I would think this is more of a job for a laser welder. I've never done it but have handled restoration after on the engraving. I would think a "plug" made from a screw be inserted and then laser welded in place.
Lasers are used a LOT in firearms restorations now.

monk

Staff member
many good hardware outlets have soft binding wire. i use my roll to hold stuff together for soldering. what i have is around .030. very easy to shape. i got a roll of soft ss wire at harbor freight. not sure if they have iron or not. the ss wire was about 8 bucks.

Last edited:

rmgreen

Elite Cafe Member
I would like to thank all again for posting such great solutions to my problem. Like jerrywh normally I fix such problems with my TIG set up. Because the part with the problem is soft soldered in place and "finished" this was not "I Think" a viable solution in this case. Laser welding certainly sounds great. I have no clue where one of these might be. I live in a rural agricultural community far from a major city. The iron inlay went fine and I think in the end results will camouflage my mistake. This forum came to my aid and it is more than appreciated. I especially like to thank SamW who provided some personal assistance in this solution.

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I would think this is more of a job for a laser welder.
So, who on the forum has a laser welder and can do this type of work? I am doing the preliminary work on a Gemmer style Trapdoor rifle. The action is an 1878 and so stamped, but the lock plate I have is stamped 1883. I would like the 83 welded up and recut to 78 so they match. I am not at the point of needing the work done now, but would like a source for when I reach that point in the build.

Sponsors