Kwakiutl Loon, gold inlay

This piece is sterling silver and 23K gold. Traditionally inlays like this were done with abalone shell, which is indigenous to my area. It has taken me a while to get the idea how to use the gold inlay technique effectively with this style of engraving. I see now that engraving on the inlaid gold adds a lot to the effectiveness of the process. I have been thinking that wire inlay on the edges may work well and I want to try that in future pieces.

FYI, I learned to do gold inlay be following the post on this forum, thanks guys :)

Attachments

• loon_david_neel_w.jpg
    loon_david_neel_w.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 345

Dan W

Elite Cafe Member
A very pleasing departure from scrolls. Beautifully done. I am looking forward to more photos of your work.

Dan Weddle

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
this should inspire many to expand their horizons as far as design work goes. tyvm for sharing

Kwakutl art

David, that is beautiful. What is Kwakiutl ?
Richard

Thanks for your question Richard. Kwakiutl is the tribal nation that I come from. We are from Vancouver Island, Canada. We are known for carving totem poles, masks, and war canoes. I was a wood carver before I began hand engraving.

Flatsguide

David,
Thank you. I have spent a bit of time on Vancouver Island, a very beautiful place that I hope to visit again soon. I have a friend who lives close to The Lummi nation in Washington and enjoyed watching the First Nation folks carving totem poles there.
Thanks again ,Richard

Sponsors