Question: Under Microscope Video Camera

JDow

Does anyone know what kind of video camera setup GRS uses for its instructors bench? Or what are some good setups?.. more specifically what kind of video cameras?
I'm looking to setup a camera view for others to see.. I'm using a Meiji Microscope..

Thanks!

Jason

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i don't recall the details, but sometime ago i bought an "electronic eyepiece". i used this for videos of live rotifera and other micro creatures. this gadget plugged into the usb on my computer. the other end replaced the normal occular on the scope. there's probably similar items on the bay that may serve your purpose. this served well, in spite of the fact that i was using maybe 5-600 x magnification. the color was exactly what i saw under the scope.
if your meiji is trinoccular, it's a snap to do this.
the unit i used needed no xtra software, and would output to any monitor that could receive usb connectivity.

Last edited:

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Contact the sales staff at GRS. They now offer the mount (or will soon) and can advise something for a camera. The camera is just an off the shelf camera.

Andrew Biggs

If you have an Acrobat stand with your meiji then this is the camera mount that rex is talking about.

http://www.grstools.com/optical_tools/camera-equipment/003-678.html

The camera to use is a simple hand held cam with macro lenses. (As Rex say's GRS will tell you exactly what)

When I'm demonstrating this is what I use...........It's a great setup, easy to install and works really well.

And most importantly..........it doesn't cost an arm and a leg like the bad old days :)

Cheers
Andrew

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
JDow, When I'm at shows I use a very inexpensive Canon video camera. I think I bought it at B&H Photo out of NY for $199. The two features that the camera needs to have are 1) auto focus and 2) zoom. I use this with the camera mount I sell to hang off the side of the stand and it gives a good picture at a reasonable price. If you want the "through the eyepiece" view it requires a trinoc, different camera and a lot more $$. Unless I am teaching a very specific technique where people need to see very close the Canon video camera works great.

Dan W

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you Tira. I too, was wondering what kind of camera would work.
It was good to meet you at the show.

Dan Weddle

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
I was wondering if a usb document camera would do as good a job for basic videoing rather than a cheap video camera?

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'm not sure about the document camera. Originally I tried a couple of the dino lite scope/cameras and was not too pleased. It seemed to me that the downfall of them was the lack of auto focus (I had them set up separately near by, but not through the microscope) Now, if you can put one through the microscope so it sees what you see (as you focus) then it may work fine.

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
That's not a bad bit of DIY :)
I do have a small monkey tripod ( with the bendy legs)..maybe I can use that.

Eddi

Elite Cafe Member
The camera I use is a JVC Everio GZ-HM230BE. It is probably called something else in the USA. They use different type numbers for different countries.
The main thing you need is good "optical" zoom. Digital zoom is no good. This camera has 40x optical zoom.
I am sure you can get a better camera for a lower price now. Mine is a few years old.
When I was finding the right camera for the job, I took a few practice plates with me to the camera shops. Then I tried out how much I could zoom in and get good focus with the camera about the same distance from the plate as the distance is from my microscope to my Engraving ball. The funny thing is, the cheapest camera gave the best results.
The $2 bracket I got from my local hardware shop.

Eddi

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I tried one of those Dino cameras once and it was terrible. Poor resolution, severe lag in video...it was awful. Maybe they've gotten better.

A good closeup lens for still cameras and video cameras is the Raynox. They perform exceptionally well. I have the 1.5x and 2.5x. I don't use them for video in my studio because I'm using trinocular microscopes, but I have used them on outboard video cameras and they work well.

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
The $2 bracket I got from my local hardware shop.

I just found some "mechanno" (spelling)? In the young lads toybox
Plenty of brackets & bits to build with:D
Thanks for all the useful ideas you are all contributing.

Last edited:

Eugene Carkoski

Elite Cafe Member
I just purchased a camera from amscope, it was supposed to be a five MB a pixel camera.
It is totally useless for engraving. I'm presently trying to get them to take it back.
I would get more into the details after the transaction is done.

JDow

Camera Update

Finally found the perfect camera! I'm using a Sony HDR-CX110. Found it used on ebay for $60. HD, responsive autofocus, and connects to everything seamlessly...

I tried using a Samsung F-90... good price, but it wouldn't let you view live to a monitor or tv!