Help, please: Zeiss OPMI 6 Stand help needed

Skylineski

I got a Zeiss OPMI 6 and now I need a stand, I am building one out of wood for now but I would like to get something a little more user friendly like an acrobat. does anyone know if they make adaptors or a good boom stand for this scope. I have the fully functional scope with the drop arm but that is all I have. any information would be appreciated. thanks in advance.

Doug:handpiece:

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
If you can post an image of what exactly you have, perhaps I can help?

We use 3 of them, and I have built and found homes for another coupla dozen over the years...

Brian

I do not recommend the Acrobat stand. Just my opinion - based on the fact that I have one in the upstairs shop. Far too awkward and wobbly for me.

Last edited:

Boomhower

Elite Cafe Member
It's a bit tricky at first. You have to go to the advanced part. Then you will see a place to add files

Boomhower

Elite Cafe Member
I did a search to see if I could fined the size where it mounts I didn't have no luck at all. I see why your having trouble all the stands I seen was for surgery hopefully the people at grs can hook you up
Sorry wasn't much help I was looking at the fega pictures that Ron posted.there is a photo where the guy has a scope stand made out of galvanized pipe looks like a good idea if you can't fined one

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Doug,

If what have cobbled together works well enough, use it. If not, look around on Ebay for the connecting arms to build one the way you like.

I don't see a TTL unit on your scope? (through the lens lighting) Nor a rack & pinion for adjusting focus?

The Zeiss surgical scope is built to use modular parts in probably over a thousand different configurations...

One of which is a table (or bench) mount for a laboratory. I have one of those in the upstairs apprentices shop.

The one used at my personal bench is the common pole mount with the base removed. I used 2 "U" clamps to mount it to the wall directly behind my bench.

Both units are steady as a rock. The Acrobat is not. The Zeiss pole stand and arms are slim, precise and were designed to be clear of the working area. The Acrobat is clumsy by design. I much prefer the earlier GRS design. We have 6 of those on student benches.

The wall mounted Zeiss is counter weighted inside the tube/pole which makes it simple to move up or down with one finger.

Though the wall mounted Zeiss unit is obviously not "portable" - the tabletop model was easily carried out and used at last years Confabulation by John Salmon.

Brian

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
The old GRS stand is good but as I recall the horizontal rods (vertical one too?) are chrome plated and can flake off, and I never liked the round base with that little hold-down bracket to keep the stand from tipping. I'd much rather have a bolt-down post with a smaller footprint than one with a around base.

I have a very expensive twin rod stand with a bigass base that came with a Zeiss scope I bought a few years ago. Its adjustments are glassy smooth but I virtually never need to adjust the stand after the initial setup, and the base has a huge footprint.

My bench is rock solid and the Acrobat is as well. My engraving vise is not attached to my bench so there's never any movement or vibration transmitted to the bench.

Skylineski

the knob is missing but i can still adjust that but the stand does not work how it is now. unfortunately i am in Afghanistan so building my own is out, except with wood. i would like to order something that would work. but not finding anything.

Attachments

• s-l16001.jpg
    s-l16001.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 53

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam,

A round base is fine for me... useful, in fact.

Took some 6 or 7 inch wood rounds, drilled them for burs, QCs and single gravers and dropped those on top of a small Lazy Susan bearing.

That covers the base. Got all the bits easily available right in front of you... just spin with a finger.

My Acrobat is set up as they are at the GRS school - with the block hanging on the shelf off the bench. Hence the wobble? And the thing is HUGE and clumsy... ugly, in fact...

Brian

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Doug,

If you look carefully at some of the Zeiss surgical stands, you will see that the "arms" and connections are identifiable as separate pieces. Look for the one that first connects to the piece you have - then build from there on out as far as you wish. Kinda like Legos or Tinkertoys...

The problem here of late is that the pricing has gone out of my range to be able to build and sell them anymore. Otherwise I would have the parts you need on hand.

Brian

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
In the meantime, try water pipe and pipe fittings. Barry Lee Hands has done well with them.

I think Rod posted some images of the FEGA show today. If you look through them you can see what he did.

I believe it's the 3rd image down...

Brian

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Sam,

A round base is fine for me... useful, in fact.

Took some 6 or 7 inch wood rounds, drilled them for burs, QCs and single gravers and dropped those on top of a small Lazy Susan bearing.

That covers the base. Got all the bits easily available right in front of you... just spin with a finger.

My Acrobat is set up as they are at the GRS school - with the block hanging on the shelf off the bench. Hence the wobble? And the thing is HUGE and clumsy... ugly, in fact...

Brian

The lazy susan idea is Brilliant!

I'm huge, ugly, and clumsy, but Abigail still loves me :cool: