Tonight's drawing

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
the scrolls aren't bad. i don't find favor with the detailing. they lack uniformity, and i think they detract somewhat with the flow of the design. instead of complementing the scroll, they compete for the viewers attention. just an opinion

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
Would less of the detail help or a different leaf design? Just trying to improve.
Thanks,monk

Andrew Biggs

Hi Leland

You are on the right path. All the drawing needs is some refinement. That will come with time, practice and keen observation.

A suggestion for you seeing you are on the path...................try drawing inside different shapes. As engravers we are never given the luxury of a big rectangle to design in. We are confined to what is often challenging and awkward canvas shapes.

Start basic with triangles or floor plates and work toward more complex shapes as you progress.

This will start giving you some discipline and focus with your drawing and challenge you to another level.

Cheers
Andrew

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Yep, keep at it and KEEP posting the results for critique!

Go back and look at Shawn Didyoungs earliest posts. Follow them up to his recent ones...

Right there, in those posts - you can see his development over time.

My bet, and I think he would agree - is that he would be nowhere near where he is now, had he not done what he did.

Brian

Last edited:

didyoung

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I agree with Brian.... Post your drawings and try to apply the advice that others give.
With practice you will improve and develop an eye for correct scroll structure.
Practice and study.... That's what it all about.
Shawn

Attachments

• IMG_20160205_121703001_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20160205_121703001_HDR.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
Brian and Shawn thanks for the advice and encouragement. I took Andrew's advice and traced a floorplate blew it up on the computer printed off several and have been destroying paper at an alarming rate.When I get something I like I'll post it to see what you'll think. The main problem I have is after 35 years as a mechanic/machinist I think in those terms which are not conducive to art. Now I am trying change the way my feeble mind works,what a struggle.
Leland