Gun photography setup by Sam Welch

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
After watching Sam Welch shoot photos at FEGA 2016, I knew it was time to revisit his great, portable photo setup. Thank you Sam for sending me these photos!

This is an excellent setup that costs little to make and it can produce fabulous photos. Check it out!

photo setup.jpg

A curved diffusing panel over Sam's bench. This works especially well photographing curved surfaces as in the next two photos.

Drilling cartridge trap.jpg

Sam Welch is one of the top gun engravers in the world as this shows!

bp scroll.jpg

Scrollwork to die for!

package contents 2.jpg

ready to travel.jpg

Package contents photo studio.jpg

His traveling photo kit packs nicely into a shoulder bag for onsite or at-show photography.

sheet support.jpg

A homemade mount that attaches the plastic panel to the hotshoe of the camera. The main purpose of the panel is to keep the sheet up and out of the way of the camera lens.

sheet support mounted.jpg

In this photo the camera is mounted to the tripod and the panel is attached to the hotshoe of the camera.

camera mounted.jpg

Closeup of the hole cut in the sheet for the camera, and the opening on the left provides camera access for Sam's finger.

sheet in place.jpg

The sheet has a total of 3 holes. One for the tripod head, a small hole for the tripod head's camera attachment screw, and a finger hole.

camera view.jpg

View from the back shows the LCD of the camera and you'll note the camera's carrying strap is also fed through to the outside to keep it out of the way.

complete tent.jpg

Two 1 pound weights secure the sheet's corners and it's ready to rock. Sam can use this setup at gun shows for quickly taking great photos on the fly.

IMG_4815-e.jpg

One of the two BEST ENGRAVED PISTOLs at FEGA 2016. This one by Ray Armand and the other by Bert Edmonston.

I watched Sam shoot this photo on a table at the FEGA show. His camera is a modest Canon G9 which is several generations old, but as you can see, this proves that proper lighting is far more important than the camera used to shoot the photo!

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
His camera is a modest Canon G9 which is several generations old, but as you can see, this proves that proper lighting is far more important than the camera used to shoot the photo!

Yep, it's the guy holding the camera/tool/instrument that is the most important part. :)

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I can't overstate the importance of taking publication quality photos of your work if you are a professional engraver and seek to become well known. There are a few highly skilled engravers out there that I would have liked to feature in my books, but for the lack of good images they weren't included. Sam Welch has lots of images in all my books because he provides me with high quality photos and of course, his excellent engraving.

Sam

Staff member
I can't overstate the importance of taking publication quality photos of your work if you are a professional engraver and seek to become well known. There are a few highly skilled engravers out there that I would have liked to feature in my books, but for the lack of good images they weren't included. Sam Welch has lots of images in all my books because he provides me with high quality photos and of course, his excellent engraving.

Good point, Roger. Prior to the internet and websites, those of us who shot quality photos of our work were routinely published in various magazines and books. Those who didn't shoot their own photos relied on expensive professionals to do it, and those who can't afford the pros didn't get published.

The importance of good photography cannot be overstated, and learning is 100x easier today than 25 years ago. Today there are readymade lighting setups, cameras that are far easier to use, and hundreds of how-to videos and websites devoted to shooting product-type photography. In other words, there are no more excuses not to get great photos of your work, which should be a high priority of every professional engraver.

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The importance of good photography cannot be overstated, and learning is 100x easier today than 25 years ago.

I'm really getting to like the camera in the iPhone 6 for some things. Particularly, it can make HDR images in just about any light. I recently bought a holder for the phone that has a tripod mount on it. I'm thinking it would be nice and easy for this type of a location shoot. Once everything is all set up and composed properly, you just tap the area on the screen you want in sharp focus and then take the photo.

Quality photography is within reach of just about anyone nowadays. :)

Omar Haltam

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you Roger and Sam for the great advice, especially for us newcomers... we appreciate all the wisdom we find here in the Forum..

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Sam

Staff member
Thank you Roger and Sam for the great advice, especially for us newcomers... we appreciate all the wisdom we find here in the Forum..

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Alikessu: Please turn off the tapatalk ad in your app. Thanks.

Omar Haltam

Elite Cafe Member
I am not sure that is Sam
I looked through the settings and can't find the Tapatalk ad function
do you mean the signature?
I believe this is the second time you have mentioned that to me Sam, but I can't find the Ad Funtion