Ever done an unwanted job?

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I recently received a Stevens Model 311 to engrave a name, date and some tasteful American scroll that I really didn't want to do because the receiver was rusted so bad it would be nigh impossible to prepare correctly. I refused it at first, but the gunsmith persisted and I finally acquiesced. He spent several hours sanding and filing, stating the customer wanted it done no matter the cost as it was his father's gun and he wanted to "fix it up" to present to him later on. Plus, it had to be DEEP CUTS as the gun is to be Cerracoted. Well, over my objections I did it, spending another hour and a half stoning and sanding and still had a very unsatisfactory finish, some pits were so deep that nothing short of tig welding them would do. After his and my prep, every factory letter needed to be recut, some almost completely gone. Well I proceeded to engrave it the best I could under the circumstances, but I'm not real sure I want my name associated with it. Maybe I'll post pictures one day as an example of what NOT to accept and do, but not right now. Have any others had this same type experience? This guy is spending close to $1000.00 for a gun worth $100 at the most, but more likely a throw-away.

Bill

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I recently received a Stevens Model 311 to engrave a name, date and some tasteful American scroll that I really didn't want to do because the receiver was rusted so bad it would be nigh impossible to prepare correctly. I refused it at first, but the gunsmith persisted and I finally acquiesced. He spent several hours sanding and filing, stating the customer wanted it done no matter the cost as it was his father's gun and he wanted to "fix it up" to present to him later on. Plus, it had to be DEEP CUTS as the gun is to be Cerracoted. Well, over my objections I did it, spending another hour and a half stoning and sanding and still had a very unsatisfactory finish, some pits were so deep that nothing short of tig welding them would do. After his and my prep, every factory letter needed to be recut, some almost completely gone. Well I proceeded to engrave it the best I could under the circumstances, but I'm not real sure I want my name associated with it. Maybe I'll post pictures one day as an example of what NOT to accept and do, but not right now. Have any others had this same type experience? This guy is spending close to $1000.00 for a gun worth $100 at the most, but more likely a throw-away.

Bill

I don't know why they would want to spray it with Cerakote after having been engraved. That, right there, would ruin any fine lines.

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
Sounds like a sentimental piece that you can't put a price on even though worthless otherwise.
Lot of jewellery is just like that.

Omar Haltam

Elite Cafe Member
I have had customers ask me to repair an old broken wind up watch even though it was worth nothing, but to them they were willing to pay $120 to have it repaired... it is the thought and memory that counts and they are willing to pay for that. in there eyes it is priceless .

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Omar Haltam

Elite Cafe Member
but to tell you the truth , when I see their joy in their faces when they see it working again....
it is worth it.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
I have had people bring work in that, after looking at it, I didn't want to do it. I name a price high enough to discourage most, and include caveats like it's plated, too thin, anything else I have observed. If, after I give all my objections, they want to give me the money, I do the job. So far they have all been successful. If I was truly worried that despite my warnings and their agreement to accept any risk, that it would be damaged beyond repair, I would get 1/2 the money down. It would take away the option of saying "Oh. I'm not paying for that!"

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I agree with diandwill. If you get unreasonable with your estimate and they accept it, most anything can be done. Just make sure you price it high enough to make your justifiable perturbation worthwhile!!!

mvangle

Elite Cafe Member
One nightmare job will allow you to say no to another.
A bad one for me years ago selling a hotel computer system allow me the ability to tell future potential nightmares "I don't think our company will be able to meet your expectations and I am sure you will find another vender who will provide you with what you are looking for." The trick is sticking to you guns when they try talking you into doing the deal anyway. Had to do that twice in 35 years.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Weaning family and friends from bringing you "unpaid" practice is always painful - for both sides...

Then there are the customers who always start out by saying "The guy down the street says he can't do it, but I bet you can!"

You are supposed to fall for this - and prove you can do it because you are so much better than that guy... (who proves to have been smarter than you - by not losing money on a PITA job)

Those are a couple to watch out for.

Brian

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
I had one in today. She wanted me to cut a waterfall top off a ring and cast the band and another into a wide band, then solder the top onto that band. I felt almost underbid at $180, but figured casting the ingot, rollong it out etc and then soldering the top on was 3 hours. I added a little extra because she wanted the top parallel to the band, not perpendicular.

She countered with $100, said she knew family and friends...but no dice. I'm just not sure if I should raise the bid if she comes back. And, she will come back. Of course I could agree to do $100 worth of work. Stop then and give her the pieces! LOL

Timothy83

I once worked for a chain jewelry store my boss at the time said that the most important thing was to create an estimate that outlined the job accurately. An accurate estimate did three things. The first thing was to outline the existing condition of whatever we where working on because customers do not remember things accurately( that's being generous). The second thing is that it outlines work to be done to satisfy the needs of the customer in a way that we could stand behind it and profit from it. You are the expert the customer is bringing you work they are ill equipped to accomplish. You are the the professional obviously customers don't know what it takes to do what we do. No customer gets to dictate our quality standard, and we have to charge enough to pay our salaries and keep the lights on. If the customer dictates the price of the job or the quality of the work than you are giving them the reigns of your business, and let's be honest they don't care if your kids eat. The chain jewelry store did extensive research into pricing that showed if at least a third of the jobs weren't refused outright we weren't charging enough. The customer can always say no. This is America, they can go down the road, there is always someone who will do a bad job of something. Customers never complain about a job that exceeds their expectations. The third thing an accurate estimate does is it outlines upgrades to the the job. These are things that make the final product even better, but the absence of which doesn't lessen the work you are doing. These are basic universal things about doing work for people but with the advent of the internet reputation is everything it just makes these things more important. Customers can complain all they want about how expensive something is it just means they can't afford it. The only time you really have a problem is when they can say look at this piece of work I have here it looks bad.

Eric Olson

Elite Cafe Member
When I'm in doubt, I say that I will charge in advance with no guarantees, no refunds, "this project will be done at your risk, not mine".
It is common in jewelry that if the price of the work is worth more than the piece, charge in advance.

Sponsors