Question: Power Engraver Question

ciscokid

Firstly I need to say HI to everyone and all the wonderful posts I have read since I joined this week. What a great group!

A little background on me...I like to build flintlock rifles and I restore many flinters as well as bring life back to many modern guns. As I have progressed in flintlock building I began hand carving stocks and am still a beginner by a masters standard. I decided I wanted to do some engraving on the brass and after a bit of research I realized I opened-up a whole new can of worms for myself.

I am leaning towards a power engraver that would allow me to do detailed designs in wood as well as brass. I'm more mallet and chisel with wood but it appears I may be able to provide more detail with a graver.

On to the question. I have never been one to skimp on buying tools that will last. So, the Chinese nock-offs are off the list. I have been leaning towards the GRS System 3 simply due to cost. Unfortunately I have only found a single post on the net for the System 3. That concerns me. And I have looked at the rotary systems but I don't think they will provide the precision I'm looking for.

Any opinions you may have will be greatly appreciated.:)

Thank You

oiseau metal arts

Elite Cafe Member

ciscokid

Thanks for the recommendation. I did some research and that would be my next step.

Thank you Oiseau

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
The 901 handpiece is probably better suited for metal engraving. I have magnums but rarely use them, but I'm not carving wood either.

I do not recommend the System 3. The Graversmith is a much better option as Oiseau pointed out.

Riflesmith

Elite Cafe Member
I concur! The graver smith with the 901 hand piece will do everything you could want to do! I also have a monarch and magnum hand pieces and rarely use my magnum except for inlays or heavy material removal. JMO

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'm going to take a different approach to your question. Since you are mostly interested in engraving parts of flintlock guns, I would think that you will want your work to look like that found on the original guns. That work was done both with a burin and hammer and chisel. If you don't care to learn those archaic techniques, I will suggest you consider the NgraveR Magnagraver. It is mechanical rather than pneumatic and is the best system to replicate the progression marks made by H&C. I used a Magnagraver back in the '70s and it is a good tool. Here is a link: http://www.ngraver.com/engrave.htm

I will also recommend John Schiffers' instruction manual Engraving Historic Firearms. It is the best hand engraving instruction manual available, especially for those working on long rifles. http://www.airgraver.com/Engraving-Historic-Firarms-John-Schippers.htm

Boomhower

Elite Cafe Member
I am with Roger on the hammer and chisle.going hand in hand with old guns it gives a different cut then with a air assist setup like Roger mentioned and you can do some very fine work with it .
I am learning to engrave myself with hammer and chisle I like it alot soon I will get a assist setup to give it a try I want to learn both ways.

Thank you Roger that book looks awesome I will be getting that just after Ron smiths books

Last edited:

rayf24

Elite Cafe Member
You also want to have a look at the EN SET sysytem can have the best of both worlds with both fine and course progression markes.

ciscokid

Thank you everyone for your advice. Given my budget at this point I'm leaning in the direction of the Graversmith. I did look at the Magnagraver and even called the company. Very nice guy but I have to start somewhere and I think the Graversmith will give me a good start in metal and wood. Now I need to do a bit more reading to determine what would be the best 3 or 4 gravers to start with and practice.

Thanks again everyone, greatly appreciated

dimovengraving

Elite Cafe Member
Hi and welcome to the cafe ciscokid

For wood carving I use GraverMax G8 engraving system and handpieces Magnum and QC 901
They work very good on the wood :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Sponsors