Question: Microscope for hammer and chisle working distance

Boomhower

Elite Cafe Member
I have been working on a design for a potter's wheel style kick wheel for hammer and chisle engraving and have run into a bit questions
When I get this built it wood be a good set up for a microscope I am thanking.
would there be any issues using a scope this way?
I am aways from getting a scope but I want to build this setup one time
My main question is what wood be the working distance using a microscope ?
I looked around and seen some from 8" to 14" but I am lost on how they are measured
Do they measure from the work pice to the bottom of the scope ?
Thank you very much for your help with this. :hammer:

Boomhower

Elite Cafe Member
Cool deal thank you Roger if he don't I will try and message him to see what his working distance is

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
boom,You need some serous help your getting way ahead of your self,y get with someone who can get on the right track,take a class with anyone in your part of the western U.S. J.J.

Last edited:

Boomhower

Elite Cafe Member
As soon as I can get my truck sold I am going to take a week long with Jim Downing if I can get in he is not far away
I am lost at how building a bench with a kick wheel is getting ahead of myself
I do understand I have alot to learn for sure in drawing and designing
I am open to any advice I can get

monk

Staff member
the working distance is from the objective bottom to the surface of the plate or object. i've tried h&c with the scope. doesn't work for me. when doing h&c, the optivisor is good for me. i also have a long eye relief loupe. focal length of around 14". got a set on the bay for about 25 bucks. the optical quality is better than one might think. these loupes aren't for everybody, as they take some time to get used to using.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I used a 0.5x objective on my Olympus scope which provided about a 6" working distance. The short video I made on H&C under a scope was with a Zeiss scope with 0.63x objective and about 5" of working distance. 6" working distance is better IMHO. I've not tried it with a 0.4x objective (8").

Boomhower

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you Monk and Sam. The reason I want to try a microscope win I get my truck sold is I have a bad back and thought I could set up better.

Thierry Duguet

Elite Cafe Member
Hello,

I measure the distance from the bottom of the scope to the surface to be engraved, I have 7" which I find more than enough and I do not use a kick wheel. Good luck!
BTW, when working under a microscope you should keep your back strait, it will alleviate, back and neck pain.

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
as thierry mentioned-- everything you make or buy to use-- it should allow you to work in total comfort. anything less will come back to you in aches, pains, stiffness &etc. your bench, scope, and everything else should fit to you, not the other way around.

Boomhower

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you Monk that's what I am after is a bit more comfort so far I have been using my table saw as a bench it works but can be better so tomorrow I am going to redo my wood shop to build a bench with a kick wheel and a desk like a drafting table for drawing I got everything rounded up that I can thank of. Now just to get the truck sold and get some schooling and some better tools.