Critique Request Drawingattempt on a Scrolldesign

Adder

Elite Cafe Member
Its been a while since last time I asked you all friends for critique.

Anyway, here is my last attempt. I am thinking try engraving the design on a "bracelet-practiceplate"

If anyone will give me some hints to get it better, I will truly appreciate it-

Sincerely

Jørn-Ove

Attachments

• brcldrawatempt.jpg
    brcldrawatempt.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 492

Boomhower

Elite Cafe Member
Your photo is hard to see it very good. If you can get it stright on where its easy to see your drawing will be better for everyone to see it and help out

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Looks fine as is. I would round off the backbone of the large scroll a little more - the one that starts out on the left, but that's me. Kinda looks a little flat where the leaf curls over? And maybe bring the smaller scroll head that interlocks with it - a little closer to the border...

GO cut it!

Brian

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
you have a very nice flow there. pleasant to look at. i think the leaf on the far right needs an overhaul. having said that, this should look very nice if shaded properly. you may find in actually engraving this., by looking ahead of the graver tip, you may see that little flat spot and just correct it on the fly.

Adder

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you so much for the feedback guys:banana:.

I have taken your advice Brian and altered the backbone a little bit. And I have also done something with the leaf to the right that needed an overhaul

Is there anything else you see that need immediate changes?

Hope picture nr 2 is better to see for you

Jørn-Ove

Attachments

• brcltpractice1.jpg
    brcltpractice1.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 417

Riflesmith

Elite Cafe Member
JMO here, but the right side seems to be "framed" by the leaf design and the left side seems open and could carry on further. Give the left side a "framing" terminus or open the right side. If you cut this in a framed panel you'll have unbalanced background from one side to the other. Again, JMO. Happy cutting!

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I like the design and flow....go cut it. By the way, reverse the design and add to it for a flow towards both ends of the bracelet.

Bill

Last edited:

Adder

Elite Cafe Member
JMO here, but the right side seems to be "framed" by the leaf design and the left side seems open and could carry on further. Give the left side a "framing" terminus or open the right side. If you cut this in a framed panel you'll have unbalanced background from one side to the other. Again, JMO. Happy cutting!

I think I understand what you mean (Sorry not so good in english language, Years since I went to school):eek:

I thought that I could mirror the design on a bracelet without cutting next to a border. So much backgroundremoval for practice. Im a little lazy you know;)

Hope I understood you correct. A good tip anyway. Thank you so much for the feedback.

Sincerely

Jørn-Ove

Adder

Elite Cafe Member
I like the design and flow....go cut it. By the way, it would fit nicely on a knife blade.

Bill

Thank you Bill. As an former knifemaker I have thougt about the same as you. I still have some kniveblades laying around in different drawers and closets

Jørn-Ove

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
time to cut this design in a nice chunk of metal. only those that know about engraving will ever see the flaws. non engravers will likely go gaga when they see the finished piece.

Adder

Elite Cafe Member
Okey, first transferring the design on a SS practiceplate. Tried the laser transfermethod, but it didn`t work so fantastic for me, but enough for cutting on a practiceplate
brcltpracticemainl.jpg

The result was okey, I think. Hope you like it.

Next, background removal. stipling and shading. Will post picture while cutting.....

Can anyone tell me approx how many degrees the stiplingpoint should have? (Have to make me one before starting you know):eek:

Jørn-Ove

Last edited:

Adder

Elite Cafe Member
After some hours I now have nearly finished the half of the practice piece.

Some errors and flaws, but really fun to cut a pratice piece where my own drawing is used.

The practice-bracelet is 20mm wide and about 16 cm long

Now I have to finish it and get back to the drawing practice again:pencil::pencil:

Thank you for watching, and thank you all for critique and help with this.

Sincerely

Jørn-Ove

Attachments

• brcltshade-1.jpg
    brcltshade-1.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 189

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Now, squint your eyes and look at your bracelet. What do you see? The first thing I notice is the "heavy" negative space in the middle, around the simple scroll. That is a distraction and design flaw that one gets to recognize with experience. Your execution is great and keep up the good work.

Bill

Adder

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you Bill for critique and encourage.

Now that you say it, I can see:shock:. You have absolutely right. It is too much negative space in the middle.

I was first thinking of too little negative space to the right(after the second scroll), but I am overall happy with the result. :thumbsup:

Good to hear that something will come with experience. Thanks again

Jørn-Ove

Adder

Elite Cafe Member
Finally done.

I will be moving on to the next prosjekt:pencil:

Jørn-Ove

Attachments

• brcltdone.jpg
    brcltdone.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 115

Sponsors