Critique Request Basic Concept?

Here's a buckle I'm trying to lay out. For somebody wondering what I was thinking here it goes.
I wanted the center of the B to be where the scrolls started.
I wanted a couple of them to overlap the rope cut border around the B.
I want the scrolls to be bright cut.
I know that I have some flat spots on my scrolls and borders and the leaves aren't the best but I wanted to know how my concept is.
A spot I felt truly lost is at the arrows. The arrow on left is a bud starting to the center going out. Does this go against the flow. If it does then what would you do there. Thank you for taking the time to help.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 291

Boomhower

Elite Cafe Member
I will try and help out I will draw up what I thank may help out.
I am steal learning myself I hope it's of help lol

Boomhower

Elite Cafe Member
I drew out what I thought you may like.
I overlaped one scroll on different sides and I started the scroll's from the center and grew out instead of inward
I didn't no how big your buckle will be so I used my old one but I changed the length to fit the scroll's better
You said you was going to bright cut the scroll's so in the center of the scroll's I put a flower since most western style has them just a idea
If you are going to go with flowers you could put some in the center with the B
I hope this helps and that I didn't mess up to bad lol

Attachments

• 20160127_032133.jpg
    20160127_032133.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 279
Brian, so my idea about stippling around the B and inside the rope cut wouldn't be for traditional bright cut? Would you then take out the rope and make the scrolls come from the B or would it work to bright cut some scrolls around inside the rope? Please keep in mind I'm trying to keep it simple. Haven't had a lot of experience yet. It's $1.50 buckle my wife picked up at a craft store to practice on.

Last edited:
I see what your saying now. What looks like background between the leaves would be bright cuts. I needed to shade them so I could see what I was doing. Thanks again for the input.

Boomhower

Elite Cafe Member
Here is a photo of western bright cut I found on Google. I thank this will help what Brian is saying see how the leaves are all touching in the scroll's

Attachments

• IMG_20160127_140506.jpg
    IMG_20160127_140506.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 90
I just got Diane's western bright cut dvds the other day, that is what I'm trying to accomplish in my scrolls what you have pictured. The drawing I know is deceiving from what the end goal is. Thank you for the picture and time

Boomhower

Elite Cafe Member
Cool deal one thing I learned on here I am not sure who posted it but you can use colored pencils on your drawing to help pull the details out.
For me if I don't color the background and the fold overs it all blends together
I am Glad to share what I have learned so far with other beginners

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
the scroll and border around the initial i think are way too large. i think they kind of suffocate the initial. i would also say you should try "mirror image" layouts. take say the 2 left scroll do a mirror image transfer. this way the drawing would be more even, symmetrical, if you will. not trying to be a spoilsport, but i think you need to concentrate on basic elements of design, rather than trying to do too much at one time. it is very good that you're trying. that certainly is a +. sadly, attempting to do good design, for many, is far more difficult than learning to cut well.

Last edited:
Back to basic

Monk, I'm ok with the spoilsport. I appreciate when people take the time to look and comment. I'm posting on here to learn and I can't learn when your not being a spoilsport. So that being said, I redrew my buckle without any leaves. Is this a good start or should I change something before I go further and how come?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 68

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Even, consistent wriggle cuts are a key element of western bright cut. Practice, practice practice then do it some more. You will be cutting your backbones with the wiggle cut. Quit different than cutting a single line scroll.Bright cutting steel can be a rough job starting out. I would suggest you buy a piece of copper about 3/16 to one 1/8. It will loose the brightness quicker but that can be cool to. It is more pleasing to the eye to use od numbers of scroll 3, 5,, 7,-get yourself a pair of proportional dividers, I consider them basic kit. Once you start using them to there full advantage they will be worth their weight is silver, You can buy buckle back pieces at your local craft or Tandy store-then a bit of soldering after you have bent the curve. Fred P.S. At this stage in your drawing I would suggest cutting tracing paper over the this drawing then start to design your fill inside and outside work. Add a new piece of tracing paper and keep the bits you are happy with by retracing them then rework the bad bits and go again. fred

Last edited:
I know before I get too carried away, I have to start with the backbones. If I start out with screwed up backbones I have no chance. What I don't know right now is if the backbones I have redrawn are "following the rules" as far as flow and direction. I think they are but if not I would like to know why. Thank you

Latest posts

Sponsors