Who is able to really identify Nimschke's work by his cutting technique?

jplower

I am looking for a qualified person who can accurately identify Nimshcke's cutting technique on an early New York engraved Colt. Fredric Harris's book details his technique, which appears to be the same on the Colt in question. I will provide detailed photos if anyone on the forum can help

Thanks in advance

JP

MICHAEL

Elite Cafe Member
I believe I speak for everyone here. We would all appreciate to be able to view the pics. Thanks in advance and welcome to our community.:tiphat:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I think the only way is to compare it side by side under a microscope with a known Nimschke piece engraved in the same period (he worked for 50 years). An experienced engraver should be able to detect similarities or differences in tool geometry and other nuances. Photos might get you close, but careful and thorough examination in-hand is the best option.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I have a friend with a .22 pistol engraved by Nimschke's I see him this week and try to get some pictures. J.J.

monk

Staff member
ldn is one of my early heroes in the world of engraving. mckenzie also on that list. the work of nimschke was not ever as technical as much of the work being done today. having said that, his work has remained a favorite of mine to this day. this is not official, jmho

JJ Roberts

Hey Guys..Here is the 22 caliber pistol I promised to get the pics of..gun manufacturer Robin Hood No. 1, Patent Date
2/23/1875-3/14/1876..serial #543..seven shots..nickel plated..ivory grips engraved by Nimschke.

Attachments

• robin.hood.1.jpg
    robin.hood.1.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 159
  • robin.hood.a1.jpg
    robin.hood.a1.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 165
  • robin.hood.2.jpg
    robin.hood.2.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 159
  • robin.hood.3.jpg
    robin.hood.3.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:

JJ Roberts

jplower,I'm just a soul whose intentions are good,please don't let be me be understood . J.J.

Last edited: