Question: The rules of engraving and the future of engraving

Sgarrison007

As a beginner, I am experimenting a bit...playing with cuts and emotion. I admit I am female. My question is this. Where is the future of engraving? Is it mastering scrolls or is there more? Is it about creating emotion or depicting a man shooting a deer? I would like to master techniques but I feel there must be a new wave of creativity coming on that keeps this art alive.

I love cutting metal. It is invigorating. BUT scrolls are boring to me. Where is engraving going? P.S. I love the work of Joann Ryall. But, still wonder how expressive engraving can be when the focus is so scroll and perfection oriented.

Is there a Van Gogh of engraving? Perhaps you can educate me. thanks!

wowilson

Elite Cafe Member
Engraving is just scratching metal. There are no constraints on engraving just like there are no constraints on using a pencil. Chart your own course.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Sgarrison007,The art of engraving is alive and well,what type of engraving would you like to do,guns,knife,jewelry?Do you know how to draw? J.J.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
the Italians have been coloring outside the lines for decades. Ray Wielgosz(sp?) did a lot of geometric designs. and the below photo is my recent effort at something other than scroll or representational art.

Attachments

• Image 1.jpg
    Image 1.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 368

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
If you can afford to engrave for yourself on your own items - you are as free as you wish.

If, however, you plan to put any beans or rice (much less steak or lobster) on your table - and you earn the money for that food from engraving clients items, you will be subject to constraints.

An empty belly generally sets the rules...

Brian

Sgarrison007

Love that Mitch! So cool. Luckily, I made my own living and saved money. I will be charting my own course. But I can only hope to achieve a fraction of the rest of you. Still, I challenge you to take this art further. I will be following as a mere beginner.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
I get my "challenge" needs met on pieces for family and friends that I will never get paid for anyway... I get to take my time and do what I wish with whatever materials and styles I want to experiment with.

The mortgage gets paid for by doing (within limits) more or less what currently sells or what the client will cross my palm with silver for.

It balances out. For me, at this stage of my life, I like a little predictability. (as does the bank)

Constant challenge is somewhat overrated. A little can go a long way nowadays... when I was younger I would get outta bed with my hair on fire. Not so much anymore.

I'd probably get more excited over it if it paid more?

Brian

And building another room onto this place so that I could sit quietly and gaze at my own accomplishments until Sam's retirement plan kicks in? Why?

I make and engrave pieces that get used, not pieces that hang on a wall or sit in the dark in a safe. (However, I would consider doing "art" if it paid better - and regularly) Different strokes for different folks...

“Work and play are words used to describe the same thing under differing conditions.” ― Mark Twain

Last edited:

Steve L S

I agree with the questioning of the OP - that is healthy.Will we see a prestigious firearm engraved with the wildlife in simultaneous perspective and lettering/numbers/ scrollwork in the dynamic form of for example , the British stone carver Tom Perkins? I don't know but interesting to wait and see if Hand Engraving follows the lead of the stone carvers https://www.pinterest.com/pin/23503229277632081/

Steve

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
For me, at this stage of my life, I like a little predictability. (as does the bank)

Constant challenge is somewhat overrated. A little can go a long way nowadays... when I was younger I would get outta bed with my hair on fire. Not so much anymore.

“Work and play are words used to describe the same thing under differing conditions.â€￾ ― Mark Twain

can i get an "AMEN!"?

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I'm sorry that scrolls are boring to you. How sad!

There are no rules in engraving and you can do whatever you please, just like any other art form. Whether other people like it and you can get paid for it might be another story altogether. You stand a better chance for success if it's quality artwork with good composition which is expertly engraved. Popping a balloon full of paint over a canvas and calling it art and hoping people will buy it will usually result in disappointment, so I would encourage you to cut with absolute precision no matter what the design.

Look at what Otto Carter is doing with his gun engraving. A fresh approach to design and I would suspect there are plenty of people who like his style. I know I do, and I'm pretty much a traditionalist.

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
You can engrave ANYTHING you like, anything you see and anything you can imagine. If you don't need the money then there are no constraints! Do whatever you want. Package it appropriately and hopefully you can sell it. If you don't need the money, even that isn't a worry.

The one thing that I would ask of you, is that if you do decide to sell it, price it properly. My sister (RIP) did leaded/stained glass work. She went to shows to sell, as her primary means of income. There wer retired people there, in the same medium, that used the shows as a means to socialize, and only wanted to cover material cost and expenses. It drove her crazy, and out of the field. Price accordingly. Be Honest, and fair, but don't undercut those trying to support self snd family...please.

Thanks, Will

Riflesmith

Elite Cafe Member
Well said Sam. How sad indeed.

Scrollwork is the bread and butter of an engraver's work. And even if you don't prefer scrollwork cutting scrollwork prepares you for cutting other designs i.e. Curves and lines and the shading of the elements of the scrollwork helps you to understand the cutting of shading for other things.

Had a prospective student recently who wanted to learn engraving and I provided them with all the materials they would need to draw scrollwork although they did some drawing it wasn't enough to show me they were really dedicated to learning engraving. It was too bad as they were a very good artist. I think they finally gave it up as I didn't see any drawings after a while to critique. Luckily, I got to write off the materials I provided on my taxes.

dogcatcher

Elite Cafe Member
If you do not need the monetary rewards, bang your own drum, dance to your own music, laugh and cry when you want and enjoy your time engraving. I have been retired for 16 years, making money at engraving is not my goal, I am here for learning the basics and doing what I want with whatever design and style I want. I like doodling on metal instead of using paper and pencil, if someone offers me money for one, I usually give it to them.

Search "Zentangle", my son gave me a book for Christmas a few years ago. If paper and pencil was okay, wood and carving knives was better, and then a friend asked if I could do an engraving of one. Off I went learning a new hobby.

Or in short, go out and bend the rules to do what you want, not what everyone thinks you should do.

Latest posts

Sponsors