This is how you get there

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
capron_hardy_drawings.jpg

Pages from the sketchbooks of Wilson Capron and Scott Hardy. Want to get good at engraving? This is the path you must take. No ifs ands or buts about it. These guys are dedicated and fearless and I have much respect for them.

Thanks Wilson and Scott for allowing me to share this photo.

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Okay, I've got to get really busy now; makes my sketches look like something left in the chicken yard! Thanks Sam for posting more inspiration with these, and thank you for posting the picture of one of your earlier engraving pieces. We all start with rudimentary works and I thought I was the only one to start cutting that way. I have hope now!

Bill

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
I think that I first started drawing scrolls on paper napkins at a Denny's restaurant with the saddlemaker Skip Arnew.

We'd quit working around 1 or 2 in the morning and go drink coffee for hours instead of going home and going to bed.

Wish I still had a few of those laying around...

Those restaurants had a godawful color scheme back then. Pink and orange.

Definitely kept you awake a few more hours. (once you got past the screaming in your brain)

Brian

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Wilson & Scott are on the right track,looking at there sketch's there going to be successfully at the art of engraving.Drawing scrolls is the first thing our fellow engravers in Europe & England must learn before they start engraving practice plates,four years of school before they get a certificate.:pencil: J.J.

Last edited:

Choppers_rule

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you for the inspiration! I need to start drawing regularly; most of the time I only draw when I have commissions.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i have left quite a few scroll drawings at dennys, eat & park, and a few scribbles in a variety of doctors' waiting rooms. i have actually acquired a few clients that way. free advertizing at its best !

Brant

Elite Cafe Member
Sam,

Thanks for posting the sketch books. Both Wilson's and Scott's sketches are inspiring, but their work is truely spectacular.

I visit to their websites shows just how accomplished these two gentlemen are. They are in another realm of beautifully designed and crafted tools, accoutrements, fine wearable art and jewelry.

Thanks for opening the door to another world of inspiration.

Brant

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If you go to Scott Hardy's website you will immediately see this most appropriate quote. “My Advice To Anyone Who Aspires To Excellence: Learn The Techniques, Understand The Material, And Study The History Of The Craft.”

Latest posts

Sponsors