HOW TO BEND/finish A GERMAN SILVER BRACELT PLEASE ?

Indy Joneds

Elite Cafe Member
Hi all i have a strip of metal that i have engraved that i now want to bend to form the bracelet , its german silver/nickel silver , its about 2mm thick.

should i anneal ? if so , is it tourch it until pink then leave to cool at room temperature ?

im thinking of using my non marking mallet around a baseball bat with sum cloth wrapped round ?

also , is black( spped ball) ink any good for blackening " its what i have to hand.

should i polish before or after blackening has dried ?

ive got semi chrome knocking about or some brass polish ??

Sorry , its my first bracelet and only the second project ive done.

thanks

celticjohn

Indy.
I've just finished a cuff bracelet in 2m sterling silver. There's a thread up to view. To bend it I covered a metal 40mm diameter pipe with a towel. Tapped the bracelet around it with a rubber mallet. Worked pretty well. To blacken I used Hammerite as we'd call it on this side of the pond. I got it in B&Q in aerosol. Spray it on (shake well before use)wipe it off with your finger and then used nail polish to remove the access once it's dried. I didn't polish the metal first as I wanted a scratch brushed finish so used a scrotchbrite mop prior to engraving. Hope this helps.

Indy Joneds

Elite Cafe Member
good old hammertie ay ill have to try it , but the ink is what i have to hand and i read somewhere that some one was using ink. ? ill have to try it . did you anneal the metal before bendning it around the pipe ? . any pics ?

williamph

I got one of these things it works really well and is well made too, Google "bracelet bending tool" or something similar and you should find it, bends sterling down to 16ga pretty easily, the lady I bought mine from bends stainless with it, you basically put one end in bend back, put the other end in and bend back again and bam, you got a bracelet, cost about 10 bucks shipped image.jpg

peteb

Elite Cafe Member
Before you go too far with nickel or german silver, be aware that it can cause a skin rash. In fact any nickel bearing metal can not be used in Europe for jewelry, check it out on Google.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
"German silver" and "nickel silver" do not contain any silver.

There was a study done somewhere (Sorry, no, I cannot remember every little detail I've read) that indicated that over 70% of the humanoids on this planet have an allergic reaction in some degree to skin contact with nickel and nickel bearing alloys.

The USA is probably the only country left in the world that has not banned it's use in formulating "white gold". Guess why?

Brian

Sponsors