Help, please: flying with guns advice....

griff silver

Elite Cafe Member
I was hoping i could get some advice on flying with guns...check in etc... I know to have no ammo and in a locked case but past that I'm shooting blind.thanks in advance!!

Addertooth

Make sure your case is insanely strong. My father flew with a family heirloom (a muzzle loader from the 1700's) and the handlers snapped the case and gun in half during stowage.

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It's not that big of a deal. The airlines list how it should be done on their websites. Basically they must be unloaded in a locked case. You should declare them at the checking baggage counter where you will fill out a form and put it in your locked case with the firearm the case goes on with baggage to your destination
Now what they don't tell you......like all baggage the case will be beat all to hell along the way. So word of advice..make certain it is a sturdy case and the gun is well padded on the inside. Aside from the usual baggage tag the will be put on the case I always put my name and phone number on the case itself. Tags do get lost or damaged often after inspection I will also tape over the locking fixtures on the case to help make certain they don't get snagged or damaged. Last bit of advise is when you reclaim your gun at the destination..inspect it for any interior or exterior damage befor you leave the baggage claim. Most of this is really common sense for all luggage but a bit n
More so for firearms.

J.Hayes

You should be able to bring ammo, might depend on airline, I traveled with 50 rounds in factory package in my checked luggage.

rmgreen

Elite Cafe Member
Call and speak with a person with the airline you are using and get there procedure and follow it exactly. I have flown many places over this world with firearms. Not all airlines are the same and not all requirements in various place are the same. Call and talk with TSA for for there updated information. Do NOT take the advice of other travelers go directly to the horses mouth. Things could and often change since others have traveled. Use a very high quality gun case. Your firearms value should guide you as to how much to spend a good case.

Boomhower

Elite Cafe Member
I used to travel a lot shooting archery tournament's I highly recommend that you get the best case possible and wrap your stuff in the best padding you can. We used leather straps that we made to go around our cases cuz locks don't last long with the way they beat them up. Now days they have GPS devices you can use if they get lost. That wood be cheap insurance to at least no where they are. One of my best friends lost all of his equipment and 2 bows for a couple months before they got them back to him. He had to set the world shoots out that year cuz of it was a bad deal.

airamp

Elite Cafe Member
HI,
A word of advise NO matter what the airline says or tsa. IF you fly into NY they will notify the local police and the gun will be taken.
You may also get a ticket and have a hell of a time getting your gun back. Basically this goes for All the states in the North East.
Best thing is don't go to the North East especially NY. with a gun even in a locked case and is OKed by the airlines. The state laws are not like the most of us in the United States of America....
I know I lived there most of my life until I escaped...:cool:
AirAmp

Last edited:

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I never had no such problem flying in and out of ny. True you should know whatever appropriate laws are applicable to where you are going. But i never heard of or experienced such an event. It would also make a big difference if you are carrying rifles or handguns. They must have not liked you.

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Check your airlines rules on their website. I flew United once and felt like Johnny Cochran trying to get my case checked at Cleveland. United only allows 6 firearms per case. You might not have a problem with more but if they ask how many...you're going to get a major headache.

I posted about this awhile back as a warning. Always do the due diligence to know the rules.

My best suggestion is drive if at all possible.

airamp

Elite Cafe Member
HI,
Well just be as careful as you can. My comments were manly concerning JFK and LGA. Logan is also in there..
Handguns are the biggest concern.
Check with the NRA is not a bad idea they will protect your rights.
Driving is the best way to travel. No it is not that they didn't like me It is just the way it is in that environment ..

Airamp

Last edited:

Sponsors