Critique Request Starting scrolls

Boomhower

Elite Cafe Member
Latest try

Here is what I came up with today after looking at a ton of photos I have been struggling getting my lines better. Can't give up :pencil:
:hammer:

Attachments

• 20160114_013359.jpg
    20160114_013359.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 145

Boomhower

Elite Cafe Member
I tried to fix my drawing a bit and I put it in a template to see how it was going to look and try to get the flat spots and bumps out :pencil:

Attachments

• 20160114_055418.jpg
    20160114_055418.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 115

Jan Hendrik

Elite Cafe Member
While I am by no means an expert at drawing there are a few things that are immediately apparent. Firstly you need a border where you want the scrolls to stop. This should ideally be parallel to the edges of the knife. The second thing is the scroll to the left that originates from the centre scroll. I would remove that scroll entirely. You also need to work a bit on the two remaining left hand scrolls to get the flow right. Remember scrolls start big at their origin and get smaller as they grow from each other.
It looks like you are making progress. Try not to draw too complex designs for a start. Leave the intertwining scrolls for later when you have a better understanding of basic design principles like balance, positive versus negative spacing, flow etc.
You can also reduce the pressure on your pencil tip when you draw. You will have more control drawing when you relax. Try not to tense up when designing. It should be an enjoyable exercise.
Keep drawing!

Last edited:

Boomhower

Elite Cafe Member
Here is what I came to after all day researching and drawing. I tried to get more of a balance
I tried it in my template .and I put a border in and made it not so complex like mentioned I didn't spend a lot of time with the template drawing I want to get it down pat before I do that I just drew it in to see how it wood look and fit. I appreciate you all helping thanks so much. :pencil: :happyvise:

Attachments

• 20160114_175423.jpg
    20160114_175423.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 92
  • 20160114_180715.jpg
    20160114_180715.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 92

Boomhower

Elite Cafe Member
Steal trying

Hello everyone I been trying hard to get everything even and flowing right this is what I have came to.
I brought the starter scroll together at the bottom I am not quite sure how it wood look better. Should I intertwine it. Or leave a gap ?
Thanks for the help

Attachments

• 20160115_112953.jpg
    20160115_112953.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 65

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You're getting there, now that you are keeping them "simple" and not trying to overcomplicate your designs. May I suggest you draw an imaginary horizontal line through the center of your scrolls and let the centers of the scrolls flow with the line, keeping the centers of each scroll centered around that imaginary line. Might help with your relational problems.

Bill

Boomhower

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Big-un that's a great idea . thank you for teaching me that.
I see now that the centers are way off.

Boomhower

Elite Cafe Member
Steal at it. :drawing: I thank I have it balanced out but I have been staring at it way to long
Thank you everyone for the advice.

Attachments

• 20160116_113112.jpg
    20160116_113112.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 58

Andrew Biggs

It’s great to see you so enthusiastic :)

But…………I have a suggestion for you

Stop what you are doing with the knife handle. It’s doing your head in and getting you nowhere.

Drawing is a discipline like any other and you have to start simple and work your way upwards. When we were learning to read as children, no one handed us a physics book and told us to work our way through it. We started with picture books and small words…………..it’s the same with drawing.

Hre’s some pointers for you.

1. Start big…………..as you progress your drawing ability will become better and naturally go smaller. Just give yourself some room to develop on the paper.

2. Learn to draw one good scroll spiral.

3. If necessary, use a template to guide you. It is a drawing aid that is most useful. Over time you will rely on it less and less and start drawing them freehand. They can help kick start you.

4. Draw running scrolls. Draw parallel lines on the paper and draw even scrolls between the borders. One up, one down, one up, one down………….this will teach you how scrolls join together. This will lead to more complex designs in the future………..just make damn sure that all your scrolls touch the border lines. Not sort of touch or close enough. They have to intersect. This is important.

5. Once you can do that start filling shapes like triangles and rectangles. This develops the discipline of working within shapes.

6. When drawing scrolls, turn the paper in all directions to see how it looks. They should look good from all angles. Do not proceed untill all scrolls are formed properley as they are the bones of your entire design. If they are wonkey, eveything else follows suit.

7. One you can draw a scroll, then start on the leaves.

8. When drawing scrolls, start very lightly with a series of small dashes to get the basic shape. Then start constantly refining the scroll till it’s as good as you can get.

9. Use a 0.3mm retracting pencil…………you can’t draw heavy lines with one of these because the lead keeps breaking. It teaches you the art of a light hand.

10. When drawing have a book open in front of you with good scroll design. This is a visual reference for you so you know what you are aiming for otherwise you are groping in the dark.

And last but not least…………………..relax. The more you relax, the more it will flow.

As I said, drawing is a discipline. It’s a series of building blocks. Start simple and work your way up one scroll at a time. If you do that you will advance more quickly than being all over the place like a scattergun.

You can do it. Just step back and learn in a more constructive way.

cheers
Andrew

Boomhower

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you very much for your advice Andrew. I will do just like you say I have been practicing day and night I guess I thought that I was ready to go a bit farther then I am ready for I suppose that everyone gets ahead of there self win starting something new
I look up to you and the others that step in and give advice I have alot of respect and want to learn all I can from you all

Boomhower

Elite Cafe Member
I understand stand that I have to learn this better and I am taking everyone's advise I no u got to craw before you walk
I have just one question on the last drawing I posted are my scroll's that bad or is it the way I have joined them ?

Latest posts

Sponsors