Critique Request Starting scrolls

Boomhower

Elite Cafe Member
Hello everyone here is a drawing I did on a knife I traced to learn scrolls my last attempt is on the back burner let me no what I can do better I started the scrolls coming out of screws is there a nicer way
Win I get to the point to engrave this in my knife I will inlay a gold cross in the center
Thanks for the help

Attachments

• 20160109_123509.jpg
    20160109_123509.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 489

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
the one on the right is awkward, for lack of a better term. the one on the left-- you could continue to the other end. design in such a way that it would go under, or be hidden by the cross. your spines aren't really bad. one thing to learn is design flow. scroll can be very well cut, but if placed in chaotic fashion,( such as yours on the right end ) well just doesn't look as good. engravers notice this immediately. the public, ummm, most don't see the problem, or even care. those that collect art surely see bad design. there's rules, based on the evolution of design. these rules can be broken, but one must strive to do this with care and resolve to do the best possible work. i'd suggest getting a book on scroll design. a good start for a beginner is the book by lee griffiths, "art and design fundamentals".
lee covers such ideas as how to place scroll in the design area. for many, learning creative design is more difficult than learning how to cut. lees' book also shows how a few simple lines combine to make very attractive work. worth every penny !

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
The fact that you are drawing is, in itself, a very good sign. What Monk said times 10 :) Get a book or video on scroll design....it will pay for itself in a few nights of drawing. Google engraved knives and click images...look at the backbones within the designs and they will guide you to a better understanding of flow...

Donny

Boomhower

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you Guy's very much for your help I will keep at it but for getting books I have to wait and that's no fun lol .I have a very bad back and can't work a real job I have found that engraving is some thing I can do so far . I have a very supportive family I have talked to them and they are willing to buy me the book from fega but it will be next month or later so for now I just have what is on the web thanks very much for the help it means a lot

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Having scrolls suddenly sprout from a hole is not a pleasing design. I would suggest practicing scrolls without having to work around obstacles such as holes. Practice them in open space until you can draw them correctly, then you'll be better equipped to attempt designing to fill a the shape of a knife.

I think it's great that you're drawing. That's the most critical part of the engraving equation.

Boomhower

Elite Cafe Member
Is this a better start

I have been studying Mr Ken Hunt's photo's and his work. I see that he uses a lot of way's to start. I drew this one just a bit different. I didn't just want to trace his. I done it a few different ways but this was the best one so far .I never liked to copy others work but in part of learning I don't no how not to if that makes sense don't hold back let me no how it is I got plenty pencils :drawing:. :pencil:
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 20160110_130239.jpg
    20160110_130239.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 392

monk

Staff member
no way to tell how this would actually fit in a design profile. you show little flat spots here and there. don't get yerself in a twit. take time and concentrate on doing the "perfect scroll" drawing thes can be boring as hell, but such must preceed any attempt at quality.

Boomhower

Elite Cafe Member
I been working on making nice even lines but I have a bad habbit drawing with short chicken scratches that's where I am getting flat spots when I drew my scroll saw Patterns I used the saw to make them look better but that don't work with this I have to kick.it lol. Here is where I tried the starter scroll of Kens on a knife tracing I tock the cross out for now. Tell I get better I have it to close to the holes I thank I am not sure next one I do I will leave a bit more room I sure do appreciate the help thank you all

Attachments

• 20160110_161629.jpg
    20160110_161629.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 368

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Until you study scroll design and the basics of it, you WILL VIOLATE every rule of design. Its good you're drawing and that is the number one rule, but pay attention to what scrolls are supposed to do. Scrolls must have a definite beginning, are concentric in construction and always grow from larger to smaller. Study your design above and tell us what you see as to what was just explained so we can tell your level of understanding.

Bil

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Think of it less like a scroll and more like a living vine. Vines don't make abrupt turns, they gently curve. Vines don't grow in two directions from one spot, they originate from the ground and grow outward. Vines also don't get larger the farther they are from the ground. They get smaller. Think organically and the drawing will improve quickly. Not a critique on the drawings, just mindset that will help you...

Boomhower

Elite Cafe Member
I see what you guys are talking about. I see why kens double starter went all the way down in the middle and I need to flow and grow better. I will keep working on it and see what I can come up with
Besthard you said that two vines don't grow from one spot that I don't understand I got the idea from Ken hunt's instructions that SAM posted. I thank I have miss understood his drawing thank you guys for helping me to understand drawing scrolls
I no I have a lot of hard work and learning to go I thank that's why I like this so much. Thanks for helping me out

monk

Staff member
was it sam? that mentioned, learning to do good scroll first. later, when the scroll shape is good, you can then learn to place them in the constrains of an area or object that needs engraving.

monk

Staff member
i don't see that "double" on the left doing anything positive for the outline in which you have placed it.

Boomhower

Elite Cafe Member
Yeah it was SAM. I put it in the template win you said you didn't know how it wood fit.
After the other comments I see how it don't look good and needs work.
I have a whole pile of papers of my bad ones lol but I am not complaining I am learning

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
My tip is look at lots of pictures of other people's work and examine then closely for what it is about the way they design that you like. Your style will develop out of that.

Boomhower

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks dani girl. I have been reading a book online it has helped me understand a bit I have been struggling to find a way to start that i like I no I am getting ahead of my self a bit

Boomhower

Elite Cafe Member
Latest try

Hello everyone this is my latest try at scrolls and starting them there not perfect but thought I wood share to see if I am getting the right idea. :pencil:

Attachments

• 20160113_060734.jpg
    20160113_060734.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 92

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Not bad, but the scroll on the far right exits the main scroll incorrectly. It should be the reverse of what you have drawn.

Latest posts

Sponsors