Critique Request Doodle

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
nimschke_scroll.jpg

I applaud the fact that you're making a serious attempt at drawing. That's great to see.

Advice: I would strongly encourage you to practice drawing the scrollwork of L.D. Nimschke, who was a great engraver between 1850 and 1900. Much of his ornamental work is not complex, but is solid and beautiful and makes a good foundation you can build on as your design skills get better.

While looking for scrollwork from Nimschke, I found a book called "Advanced Drawing of Scrollwork". Is that a book you would recommend for a beginner to learn scrollwork design.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i'm thinkin you have a real need to get off on the right foot. i advise the purchase of a book, or books. i would avoid advanced design principles until the elementary theory of design is well understood. attempting to run a marathon when one is barely able to walk ? i have no vested interest in the book by lee griffiths. other than he teaches an easy way to enter the fascinating world of scroll design. his work is second to none. he shows how to do it--- easy--- simple in approach ! effective learning tool.

Thanks monk. That's the advice I was looking for. I want to learn how to draw scrolls and didn't have a starting point. I know I could get patterns and trace them onto my work but then I wouldn't feel like it was mine. I like to be original with my work, not copycat other's work. Whats the fun in that?

quickcut07

Elite Cafe Member
Another way of getting some ideas without spending money right away is off google images. This does not replace a book but can help steer you to the style you like. It can also tell you some of the scroll types and names. That part is not always correct ( I know the internet doesn't lie Ha ). You can find many nice designs including some of Sam's work that is great study material. Also on this site Sam and others have put up some fantastic art work. Take some of that in and you will have a better idea on a book choice.

Eric