minor problem, large headache

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
the holes in the removeable grs jaw plates have taken on a bit of rust-- gunk if you prefer. i use different length pins according to the thickness of the piece i'm working on. the shorter pins will sometimes not seat. if i push them in, quite difficult to remove. i have tried cleaning the holes with the 2mm cratex "erasers". no joy! prior to the rubber abrasive, i used a needle to assure there were no chips hiding in the bottom. if anyone has a fix for this, please clue me in.:mad::confused:

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Obviously, the holes were drilled initially. Measure your pins and select the correct letter or number drill bit that corresponds. Squirt penetrating oil into the holes, insert the drill bit, and twist it by hand to remove the debris.

Omar Haltam

Elite Cafe Member
I concur with DKanger
that should do the trick, I have done that with other similar situations in jewelry and watch repair and it does the trick.
good luck

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

dogcatcher

Elite Cafe Member
Obviously, the holes were drilled initially. Measure your pins and select the correct letter or number drill bit that corresponds. Squirt penetrating oil into the holes, insert the drill bit, and twist it by hand to remove the debris.

When you find the size of drill you need go to the hardware store and buy a drill made for tapping holes. Can't think of the name if it but it is shorter than a standard drill bit, a stubby describes it best. Then end drill a block of wood and CA glue the drill bit in the dowel. It will give you a plenty of leverage to clean up the hole. Then set it aside, you will need it again.

The apply a good coat of oil, I would use automatic transmission fluid mixed with a synthetic oil. Any brand, even the cheap ones.

gcleaker

Elite Cafe Member
I’m with boomhower, back in the day we used coca cola to free up a seized up piston in a small motor. Simple things work just not as fast as a high speed drill, as grandma used to say an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Don’t forget to add some oil after you get them cleaned out:beerchug:

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Haven't tried it for this but If it's rust molasses left in the holes overnight ought to wash out taking the rust with it. Then Squirt some oil down there to stop it happening again.

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Use a little common sense here. There are 24 holes in the top of my vise and at any given time a lot of them are exposed while working. Why assume they are filled with rust when "gunk" is the more appropriate word. All kinds of crap gets in those holes over time and becomes embedded. Ream em out, wash with aerosol carb or brake parts cleaner and let them dry or blow them out with compressed air. Oiling them only enhances the hole's ability to trap more stuff.

Riflesmith

Elite Cafe Member
Never, ever, ever oil the holes! Oil is only an attractant and adhesive to Chips, flakes, grindings, dust, dirt and anything else that's floating or flying around the studio.

monk

Staff member
hey-- thanx to all for the advice. will try acombination of some. tyvm

speeedy6

Elite Cafe Member
Monk,
Can you drill those hole all the way through ? Then you could easily run a bore brush through them. And I think some silicone spray would keep the rust down and not be sticky to attract more gunk.

monk

Staff member
thanx fo all the ideas. i chose close-fitting wooden dowels. a paste made with 3-in-one oil and rottenstone. worked very nicely. followed with thorough cleaning with isopropyl and compressed air. fyi, "rottenstone" is a very finely ground stone used by some woodworkers to put a very fine finish on certain projects. it's finer than powdered sugar. handy stuff !

D Smith

Dont you have some car wax? It will help prevent rust and wont leave a residue that will hold dirt and chips! Wax those holes! Any wax will work.

D

quickcut07

Elite Cafe Member
Hey Monk check out a 17 cal gun cleaning brush. They are usually available in nylon or brass. You may want to clip the end of the brush where the wire is curled and put a dab of tape or silicone. Hook it up to you drill and proceed slowly. If you are careful I don't think you will end up with damage. All oils or solvents used should be cleaned off before you put the plate back into service as stated earlier oil or any residue is like honey to flies. If you or a friend have a worn brush it may be the best. If you want to go farther, at the completion check to see if an application of cold blueing will protect the exposed metal.

Good luck
Eric

monk

Staff member
i might get one of these to do a bit of routine cleaning. little wonder the holes got crappy. i don't recall ever cleaning them other than dumping them as needed.

monk

Staff member
Dont you have some car wax? It will help prevent rust and wont leave a residue that will hold dirt and chips! Wax those holes! Any wax will work.

D

ive long been a fan of johnsons paste wax. one can no longer find it on the shelves these days.

Silberschweif

Elite Cafe Member
Hey you can use loctite 8018
Go on loctite.com
We Used it for industrial repair Old rusty screws the only thing that works. AT screws if it not works the last chance is to heat the screws to Red heat and give them a Hit with a hammer. Butt thats only for rusty screws the loctite will fix your Problem. After that Use a littel oil to Protect

Latest posts

Sponsors