Found a cheap inkjet transfer works with color

Boomhower

Elite Cafe Member
Hello everyone I found a way to transfer patterns with a inkjet printer. Mine is a HP that has #63 ink cartridges. I run out of black ink just as I went to try this method. But it comes out a bit brighter then red I tried a few different size patterns to post. I will get some more ink today I hope and post with black. I used inkscape to work the patterns over to help with the details these are not my designs they are copy wright free. From Google search
I used parchment paper that I had but I did get a better transfer where it printed on to the masking tape I have never used the transparency sheets it should work better
For the process
Tape down the parchment paper to a sheet of paper and print your pattern
Spray a coat of minwax polycrylic clear gloss on your work
Lay your pattern on the pice and tape it down or hold it and burnish the back of the pattern to transfer your image I used a sharpie
Then just lift it off
The polycrylic goes on kind of thick win you scribe your lines in you have to clean your scribe or it will pill up your transfer.
It is not as tuff as other methods it will smuge it you touch it to much
but it is very cheap and easy method
I hope some of you can use this if you have any questions just Haller here is some photos of what I used and the transfers I done

Attachments

• 20151231_051218.jpg
    20151231_051218.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 369
  • 20151231_071520.jpg
    20151231_071520.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 368
  • 20151231_071149.jpg
    20151231_071149.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 367
  • 20151231_071223.jpg
    20151231_071223.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 368

Boomhower

Elite Cafe Member
Here is a steel plate I transferred today of one of Mr Sam's patterns. It is 1 1/2 inch's.
You want to let the poly dry good before you transfer your pattern. Or the lines will bleed together. And you don't want to burnish it a lot .

Attachments

• 20151231_170653.jpg
    20151231_170653.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 318

Omar Haltam

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks, I will have to try that out
do you think it would work with an HP laser printer?

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Boomhower

Elite Cafe Member
I have never tried a laser printer from what I have read they are easyer to transfer. It should work as long as your ink will come of the pattern
How I got the idea to try this poly is that it goes on pretty thick and it takes a bit to fully cure
I haven't tried the other poly's I have but I thank others will work all so. If you put it on thick

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
If you set it in front of a small fan (I have a little 6" on my bench for summer heat) it dries PDQ.

When I tried it this morning, I also noticed that it does not need a fixative on top as do the Damar varnish concoctions.

Pretty hard to rub it off...

Brian

Indy Joneds

Elite Cafe Member
nice boom , will have to try it . thanks for sharing . i have used transparencies and inkjet onto white liquid shoe polish and has a similiar effect

cropduster

Elite Cafe Member
Many people have struggled for prolonged periods of time to come up with something that works OK. Its good to know that you were quickly able to find a workable solution. Thank you for sharing it with all on the Café.

Boomhower

Elite Cafe Member
Here is a update on this transfer method
I have been letting it dry just tell your finger print does not stay in the poly
Then burnish your pattern on
Then I let it cure for abit. Then I scribe the pattern and then use lacquer thinner to wipe off the poly on complex drawings where I had shading lines I left the poly on after the poly cures it is pretty tuff and won't rubb of very easy
I finely got some new ink cartridges the other day
Here is a photo of a transfer I done today with black ink and a pencil drawing I done .
this drawing is just over a inch tall

Attachments

• 20160127_153511.jpg
    20160127_153511.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 167

Indy Joneds

Elite Cafe Member
i cant get this water based polycrylic on ebay . in uk is there a variant you know of iver here i could buy so i can try ? i tried laquer and varnish out of tin , and the damarr i got was no good . what about orange juice , got that stuffs sticky when it spills . i read a while a go a guy tried apple juice i think with some students of his if i remember right , i will try tonight . operation JUICE is a go !!