Critique Request Knife bolster design critique

thughes

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Jan, I like it. You've got good balance, at least to my eye. But your scrolls don't seem to flow smoothly out of the backbone of your origin scroll, if I'm saying that correctly. Then the last little scroll to the left does the same thing. But a nice design!

Todd

Indy Joneds

Elite Cafe Member
I like it , its got flow , personally i dont think it always necessary to have scrolls that always come off of each other perfectly as long as it obvious that , that is your intention and not a mistake of a design. i think it is a gorgeous design , only thing that stood out was the a leaf element at the base that is does not have a fold over like all its other counterparts of the same shape , so it just stood out but not at first glance. nice work

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Jan,I would like to see more of your scroll design over going over the board. J.J.

Jan Hendrik

Elite Cafe Member
henk jagmes bolster5.jpg
I was thinking to add a small amount of gold inlay in the fold over areas of the leaves. It is something I have been wanting to do for a long time. I have done gold inlay before, but never in a scroll design. Mostly borders and lettering.

Boomhower

Elite Cafe Member
I like your design it looks great
If you don't mind I wood like to use it to practice on
I like it with the inlay. Can't wait to see it done

Boomhower

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you sr
I have not been engraving very long so I may not do it Justis lol but I will do my very best and share it with you
I promise I won't use ur design on anything but for practice.
I no how it is to get hard work tock and not get any credit for it

Jan Hendrik

Elite Cafe Member
henk jagmes bolster6.jpg
So i decided to go for gold so to speak.
Outlines done, gold inlays done and background removed. Now for the fine line shading. This is normally where i make mistakes and get really frustrated. I will just take it slow and steady as I can.

Eugene Carkoski

Elite Cafe Member
That really looks good and Jan You might want to think about adding gold to the upper right and lower left in the middle left outside to give it balance looks good though thanks for sharing

Jan Hendrik

Elite Cafe Member
henk jagmes bolster8.jpg
One side is finished. I can now do the other side. Maybe with some changes to the placement of gold inlays. Or maybe I should stick to doing both sides the same?
I learned quite a bit with this project that will help to improve my work in future projects!

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It looks nice Jan, for the other side I would suggest to avoid what you don't like on this side and see if it turns out "stronger"
In the first place I would have cut it on a practice plate when not totally certain about how to shade.
But no matter what you do, it will look nice and there will always be one side that you like more than the other one. :biggrin:

speeedy6

Elite Cafe Member
I like the design ,I guess there's always a way to cut it and get another look. I would imagine it's ok to change the design but try to keep with the same style instead of just reversing the image on the other side. What's the opinion on that ?
By the way, I like the workholding bracket for the knife.

Latest posts

Sponsors