Curved practice plates!

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
I have a client that has been supplying me with, and paying me to engrave, a variety of curved practice pieces. I almost refused because of the repetitive nature of the engraving, but then realized that, he is willing to pay, and it is great practice,

He has been going to Goodwill, Salvation Army et al, and buying old silver plate, cups, saucers, bowls, trays, goblets, sugar/creamer sets etc. He says that he pays about $1.00 a piece for them. The plating is worn off. He has me engrave thistles, he is a bagpiper, and he wants each different, minimalistic and is paying for each piece.

If you want practice on engraving on multi-curved surfaces, concave and convex, and curved...here is a cheap source of practice plates. Then, after cutting a bunch of these, somebody brings one in, you will have a confidence to accept the job and complete it!
:biggrin::handpiece::biggrin:

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
Sometime, at these places and at auctions, you find those cheapo stein or mugs, out of aluminum. I got three, one of aluminum and two out of pewter being nice quality. But, the drag engraving needs burnished out, of which I'm partially done with, and the others need the same. One has some deep dents, so that'll take some work. For the price of a buck or two, it's no big deal and they'll be good advertisement if engraved in the right manner. There's probably a lot out there to have, for a song, but you just have to wait and keep looking.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
You had mentioned wanting to try out some gun engraving in an earlier post.

Maybe test the waters with some grip caps, floor plates or a 1911 slide?

If you really want to have some fun - a trigger guard...

None of these are particularly expensive "practice plates", just find a local gunsmith and see if he's got something in his parts box.

Or try a local gunshow. ATF has no interest in these parts.

Brian

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
I was more sharing the idea for those concerned with having to engrave complex curves etc. A source of inexpensive curved round/concave/convex, all in one piece.

As far as firearms, I have access to enough, should I want to cut them, and they would be legal.

Thanks anyway.

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
Mebee my memory got you crossed up with with someone else? Wouldn't be the first time. Sorry...

Brian

“The older I get, the more clearly I remember things that never happened.” ― Mark Twain

No it was probably me. I have mentioned it a few times, last on Jimzym75 post, asking about regs in Canada. I'm just not ready to jump through the hoops. I have a good (in a manner of speaking) jewelry store that (with any luck) will take off any year! LOL

Latest posts

Sponsors