New to Engraving, Trying to learn some basics!

timpike64

Folks,

I have been practicing inlaying some bronze into Belt Buckles, and was wonder how would I engrave initials so I can inlay the brass. Would I use hammer and chisels?

If so where and or what type of basic tools would I start with, I do not want to invest a lot at the moment.

I used a drimel tool for my first tries, but the quality of the lettering is very rough.

Boomhower

Elite Cafe Member
Hello. I am new to engraving to. I done a search for you. I thank this post from the tip's section will help you. There are more great posts on this if you use the search
Most I have read use a flat or round graver to inlay with
If you just want to use your dremal you can cut the cavity and solder the inlay in.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
the dreml ? man, that's a real challenge there. i have rather limited experience here-- but i'd use flats and an onglette perhaps to undercut the channel. or flats to crosscut to produce hooks that will grab and hold the inlay material.
if inlaying letters, one would cut them with a jewelers' saw. i'd cut them out first. clean the edges, then glue them to a wood block for engraving. if not soldered in place, you would want to engrave after installing the inlay.

Last edited:

Sponsors