Anyone printing and transferring with HP #63 ink?

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
inkjet_transfer.jpg

-HP Envy 4520 printer.
-Uses #63 ink cartridges.
-Pictorico transparency sheet.
-Tom White solution and Prismacolor pens.
-Printing from Adobe Illustrator on Mac.
-Ink flow set to maximum.
There is no "print with black ink only" setting, but I only have the black cartridge installed so only black is being used.
-Transfers are very usable but print more grey than black.

How does this compare with what you guys are getting?

Sandy sent me a photo of a transfer with #61 ink and it's definitely darker than what I get. He also prints first on paper and then makes a copy of the printout onto the transparency sheet for best results. I tried that and it didn't make much difference.

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Sam - I use #61 but thought I would mention that I get better results when changing the "preferences" on the AI printing dialog to: Paper Quality = Specialty Paper Best Quality. I also use the pictorico transparency and Tom White solution.

Sam

Staff member
Hi Sam - I use #61 but thought I would mention that I get better results when changing the "preferences" on the AI printing dialog to: Paper Quality = Specialty Paper Best Quality. I also use the pictorico transparency and Tom White solution.

David: Are you on a Mac or PC? I don't have SPECIALITY PAPER BEST QUALITY as an option. I've tried plain paper and glossy photo paper, but there's an option for HP GLOSSY BROCHURE OR SPECIALTY paper which I will test.

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
Sam, I use a PC with a cheap little HP Deskjet 1000. If I use the photo setting it won't transfer at all. If I use the best quality standard setting it uses too much ink and I get smudgy lines that run together. So, from trial and error this Specialty setting seems best for me.

Boomhower

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for letting us no that hp printers work I have not tryed it yet but the printer I have use's 63 ink. Win I was looking threw the tips I didn't see that my printer wood work. I will go get the stuff for it now will save me a lot of time
Thank you very much

Scottyd

Sam,
My HP printer uses the 564 cartridge. I use the Tom White transfer solution and still have some of the Tom White transparencies. I have some of the pictorico transparencies and I don't notice any difference between the two. I use Corel draw and print things using hairline outline lines and a grey scale black ink only and best setting on the printer. My transfers look about like yours. I find that the transfer is washed out too much using the microscope LED ring light and turn it off, using an LED side light. If I want a darker transfer line I use a wider line but you lose a little detail. I have used both HP ink and Sams Club ink with the same results. I have noticed that the transfer lines are darker (better contrast) when you shake the Tom White solution better.
Scott

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam
My HP printer just died. Naturally this happens right after you buy a new supply of ink. My new printer is the one you are using. I have not tried it yet but the HP printer commands are the same as my old one. I have bern using Toms solution. I do shake it slightly before applying. I set the printer to best quality and black ink only. I print on the pictori transparency film. Now most of the time it tranfers quite well. Once in a while for some unknown reason it does not. Wondering if my solution is getting too old. Anyhow i have not tried the number 61 ink yet and trying to figure out what to do with the old 564 ink. It will be a few weeks before i will have a chance to give it a whirl

Sam

Staff member
Thanks Scott & Marty. I will give the solution a good shake and see what happens. As I said, I'm ok with what it's producing, but I want to make sure I'm not overlooking something.

Scott: Yes, wider lines are much stronger than thin lines, but I want as thin a line as possible for fine detail.

Marty: For some reason there's no BLACK INK ONLY setting, but since I only have the black cartridge installed, that's all it can print anyway. I think there are differences in the printer drivers between PCs and Macs. As I recall, I found the same thing to be true years ago when I used an Epson printer.

Another question: Do you guys print on paper first and then tape a piece of transparency sheet on the paper for a second printing?

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam
I first print on a piece of paper. Then i tape a piece of transparency over the printed portion and reprint. I Do this in order to not waste the transparency film and use more than I actually need. Too much also gets in the way as i try to transfer onto the metal. I also more often than not tape it down on one end as i rub it so not to have it shift on me

I do think you might be correct as to the different printer commands between a PC and MAC

Sam

Staff member
Sam
I first print on a piece of paper. Then i tape a piece of transparency over the printed portion and reprint. I Do this in order to not waste the transparency film and use more than I actually need. Too much also gets in the way as i try to transfer onto the metal. I also more often than not tape it down on one end as i rub it so not to have it shift on me

I do think you might be correct as to the different printer commands between a PC and MAC

Thank ya Marty!

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam

Sam,

I do the same, and for longer ones feeding out vertically, i tape the whole length down, if not I have found that the printer head as it moves left and right will catch with the transparency, because as the paper feeds through the rollers it lifts the transparency, thus the printer head gets jammed, and you quickly learn to speak another language as you have to figure out how to clear the mess.

GunEngraver.com Guns, Knives & More

Sam

Staff member
Thanks for the tips Carlos.

I'm reminded of the simplicity of laser transfers compared to inkjet.
1.) print
2.) wipe with acetone

But it sure is nice being able to use transparency sheets for precise positioning.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Hmmm, I don't see that. But then I generally print full sheets. I save up jobs ahead of time and do it all at once - almost edge to edge when I print transparencies.

So no taping is involved... sometimes, I don't even have to cut them up after printing - if I have a batch of flat work to be done.

Use the inkjet/transparency 80% of the time for my own work, laser/paper maybe 20% of the time - always in the classroom. Laser is much cheaper in the long run.

Brian

Dale Hatfield

Elite Cafe Member
Another question: Do you guys print on paper first and then tape a piece of transparency sheet on the paper for a second printing?

Yes . using HP 1010 printer with factory ink. on TW sheets and fluid . I can get multiple transfers from same sheet . I only have black cartridge installed as well

Dale Hatfield

Elite Cafe Member
Laser might be cheaper but Inject is higher quality. How many hit and miss laser transfers before one Ink jet ? I have both haven't used the laser other than for cheap printing

RDP

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for the tips Carlos.

I'm reminded of the simplicity of laser transfers compared to inkjet.
1.) print
2.) wipe with acetone

But it sure is nice being able to use transparency sheets for precise positioning.

But it sure is nice being able to use transparency sheets for precise positioning.[/QUOTE]

I have been experimenting for some time with baking paper lifting the print with clear packaging tape, varnish/zippo method, along the lines of what you posted before Sam, but the problem is the tape although it does release the transfer, because of the tapes adhesive is not that good,
it wasn't until today after reading your post :thinking: that I thought of using cellophane film, like the baking paper method, well nearly wrecked the laser printer, it kind of melted to the rollers, mmmm!:thinking:, there must be some heat resistant clear film out there, (as I did not want to disconnect the heater cause it works fine for the baking paper), well any turkey could have told me that :biggrin:,
oven bags :banana:,
here are some pics of the results,

this is the first one, is a scanned image of a pencil drawing so the lines are thick
20151228_114628.jpg
this is the result, it could have been better if I had put a bit more effort into it,:eek:
20151228_114828.jpg
this is the second attempt, a reduced Zippo design, actual image is 20mm x 30mm, illustrator 0.01 line weight, I wanted to see how much detail would show
20151228_120858.jpg

this is the result :( I did try about three times, and all the same, I think maybe playing with the varnish/zippo mixture would work better.

20151228_123341.jpg

then I increased the line weight to 0.05.
and this is the result,
20151228_130549.jpg
the top came out good, but I think the varnish may have dried more towards the bottom and did not transferred that well,
overall I think this could work for must have precise positioning, Sam you are good at perfecting things, :) so have a go and see what you can do with it, about the oven bags, just Home Brand up to 200deg Celsius in an electric oven, they are very statically charged, which makes it easy when you apply them to the metal, and the film is very flexible, I just used normal tape to stick the piece to the printer paper on the leading edge, the tape does not release from the film as it does from the baking paper so allow room for cutting the film from the paper I do not know how this will compare to the transparencies though I haven't used any so don't know how thick they are, OH! and I had to mark the side that the image was to be printed on, is hard to tell once is printed :eek:,

HP Laser Jet P1102 CE285A cartridge

Hope I didn't confuse the c#@p are of you guys and hope it helps some one.

Print image on paper
attach piece of oven bag over image with sticky tape on leading side of paper
run through printer again,
and good luck.
Disclaimer: this worked fine for me in my laser printer a few times, if you try this is at your own risk:biggrin:

Richard.

SalihKara

Elite Cafe Member
::::Pledge Member::::
I have a samsung m2020 and it does perfect job,

if I want to remove the transfer from metal I need to use a sand paper otherwise I can not remove it.

tdelewis

Elite Cafe Member
I use a cheap HP 1000 deskjet. Print a copy, cut a piece of Pictorico and tape over my drawing I want to transfer, like fancygun says. I remove the color cartridge before printing. The transfer comes out great. When I forget to remove the color cartridge not so great. The Pictorico sheet must be fed into the printer with the correct side up. A couple times I have not paid attention to which side was up and you will get a transfer that will smear. Pictorico must treat one side so the ink will hold. When I cut a piece from a sheet I never take it from the notched corner. I also mark the piece I cut off so I don't get mixed up as to which side I'm printing on. The ink is 61XL though not 63. I'm using Adobe Illustrator and HP computer. I don't change any settings. Transfer is just as good with Prismacolor.

Sponsors