Question: Copyright

Thierry Duguet

Elite Cafe Member
I recently came across a laser engrave copy of my own work. What is the status of intellectual copyright material when it come to engraving? If original work is copy, what is the value of that work to the creator?
I am not speaking about a bird or a dog, the original was a full coverage, so is the copy. Any suggestion would be welcome.

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
A copyright only helps you if you sue them in court and it's only as good as you can afford a lawyer. There's no task force that will go and enforce it for you. It's somewhat better than completely useless. :(

Riflesmith

Elite Cafe Member
I believe there is a cafe thread on this very subject. Basically, to pursue the violator legally it's going to come down to how much time and money you have to spend. The other action you might take is to write the violator a letter and ask them not to use you design. Is the piece signed? Do you have pictures that will confirm that your design and when you did it?

leschowe

Elite Cafe Member
I am not a lawyer, so I really do not know for sure, but...

Did you file for a copyright on your art? Do you have an actual copyright for your art in your hands. If not, I do not think that you have a leg to stand on, even in court. If you invent something, then never file for a patent, and then someone uses your idea to produce a product, I think that you are out of luck.

I am a half owner in Engraving Transfers with Mike Dubber, and we file for and receive copyright protection on all of our products - it cost a little money. We also state this face in our literature with the copyright symbol.

Les Schowe

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Welcome to my nightmare. I've had so much stuff copied over the years you probably wouldn't believe it. Sometimes I get it removed, sometimes I get paid, and oftentimes I get ignored. The bottom line is your copyright is only as good as how much money you're willing to spend to defend it.

JMiller

Elite Cafe Member
Don't know if a Certificate of Authenticity would legally do any more good but might would help in some cases at least help prove it was your original art/ design work. Along with a copyright it still would come down to time and money, but it may be worth it some cases. You might also have better luck persuading the guilty party to comply or cease with a CR and or a COA and avoid a legal battle.

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It's not only a matter of how much time and money you are willing to use to fight it but it also is a matter of what you might or might not get if you win. If the party you are suing has nothing what can you gain.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i have violated some of sams' designs. a few he posted for us to practice on. but have never passed that on to anyone other than the scrap heap. i've also copied (as best i could) a very few designs of some of the members here. in fairness to all, i did these to just get a feel for how others work. again, these stolen designs were put in the scrap bin, not sold or given away as a gift. years ago i was asked to do a logo of a well known gun manufacturer. unsure-- i called corporate hq and was given permission to go ahead with the project. i assured them i wasn't going to "mass market" the logo.
as far as i'm concerned, if the person failed to get permission-- they are a thief !! if it was me, i'd follow the advice of roger bleile.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
My suggestion is to send them a bill for violation of copy right, photo of orginal and your business card offer to create other original work for them on a fee basis.Fred

Latest posts

Sponsors