buying a Shimpo turntable/banding wheel in uk ?

Indy Joneds

Elite Cafe Member
anyone ever done this ? or what is the next cheapest way of getting one from states maybe ? cheapest retailer ?

unless any one knows of a uk variant with the duel bearings . or super smooth spin for everness.

thanks again.

Boomhower

Elite Cafe Member
I am all so looking to get a turntable. I don't have the funds to buy a nice one already made up so I am going to make me one I have looked at the bearings on eBay but haven't had time to see what the metal is going to cost me yet

Thierry Duguet

Elite Cafe Member
I baught some stainless steel disk from that dealer, lumberjack1983, I was please and the shipping was fast. Cost of making your own, about $50.00, I use 10" X 1/8 disk, one needle bearing, between the disk, and one axial ball bearing, screw and nuts to hold everything together. Note that, since I use hammer and chisel I do not like when it turn freely and it does not.

dogcatcher

Elite Cafe Member
Try eBay or Amazon.com in the UK. You may not find the Shimpo brand, but if not available check with some potters, they will know what is the best brand available there.

quickcut07

Elite Cafe Member
I have heard some have had excellent results using a potters wheel. They are made to handle the weight of clay and move freely. I would imagine the UK would have quite a variety. Prices here for them is very reasonable compared to the engraving equivalent.
Eric

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
if one is capable of a bit of wood working, lazy susan bearings can can be used. most hardware outlets have them in 3 or 4 sizes. i think mine was about 4 bucks (usdollars) and will hold a load far greater than most would ever need. i attached a wood slab to mine. i use a shot-filled leather bag for some things. ugly as hell, but it works !!!!

Indy Joneds

Elite Cafe Member
thanks for all the help , i tried the lazt susan route but i didint like it .

Ill have a look if not even buy one of those rhode wheels phill , thanks

I may try the leather shot bag to monk thanks , im trying to do so rope border on a bracelet and ive just realised the chuck jaws get in the way . gonna try making a thermo loc / scrap metal / anything jig to hold it first.

speeedy6

Elite Cafe Member
I've got a home built turntable using a lazy susan bearing. It was rough and rumbled until I used a qtip and smeared a gob of Vaseline in the bearings. now it turns pretty smoothly. I helped a lot too when I put a 10lb weight from my sons weight set on top. There is a post on here somewhere about using a front hub of a car. I think when I'm ready to upgrade I'll look that up and try that next.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
thanks for all the help , i tried the lazt susan route but i didint like it .

Ill have a look if not even buy one of those rhode wheels phill , thanks

I may try the leather shot bag to monk thanks , im trying to do so rope border on a bracelet and ive just realised the chuck jaws get in the way . gonna try making a thermo loc / scrap metal / anything jig to hold it first.
the leather bag holding the shot should be a bit flimsy rather than stiff. other than the weight, my bag to the touch is quite conformable. that is what i value most in this. a gunsmith friend made one for me. he makes them any size one wants.

quickcut07

Elite Cafe Member
Indy for raising work and to make things easy for my self I have a series of wood and aluminum pieces. These are approximately 1" x 3". For doing knives or silverware the item is hot glued to the 1" side. This allows vertical height as well as easy movement in the vise jaws on a narrow piece to center, without moving the vise constantly. Scrape pieces of wood work great its cheap and does not harm the work. Larger items (larger plates) a T shaped holder of hardwood 3" top with a 1x3" base to fit in the jaws. Simply glue and screw nail the wood together. Work can be taken out of the vise and set aside if a quick job shows up. Over time I have accumulated a collection of various sizes. Items can be held so you can work right to the edge or curl over slightly as well as elevating the work off the jaws to aid in hand placement or graver angle on curved items. Hope this make sense. On some of the supports I have drilled holes for the hot glue or thermolock to get a better grip. Don't forget to leave a few gaps when using hot glue or thermolock for a pry bar. This will aid when popping the work out when completed.

Good Luck
Eric

Indy Joneds

Elite Cafe Member
are you gluing the bracelts onto a scrap piece then but not covering the edges ? i undstand the holes for grip and gap for prying it off but have you got a picture of the way you are holding ? thanks quick cut and all

quickcut07

Elite Cafe Member
These hardwood scraps are from refurbishing a oak stair case and a maple trim pieces from a buddys kitchen cabinet install. All where free except the stair items but I just set aside the trim pieces and cut and use as needed. Most items are set into the hot glue or thermolock bare. A couple rolls of painters tape hangs on a hook at the bench. This is used to mask and protect any soft surfaces as well as a protection for the screwdriver or blade that will be used to pop out the item when done. I do a lot in stainless so not all needs to be tape covered. That being said long curls of stainless not only cut fingers but will scratch your S/S surface. ( Do not try to flick off a stainless burr been there not good )
The T shaped holders are pretty straight forward 3x4" top affixed to a vertical support 2-4" high. The ones for smaller work flatware (spoons and knives ) bracelets, this is just a solid piece of wood the width of or close to the item with a depth great enough to allow raising and tilting the item for ease while engraving. This works ideal for curved pieces (spoons, bracelets ) you don't need to tilt your vise to have a good engraving angle for engraving. Simply tilt or move your jigged item to the center of rotation. This saves time in one direction of vise movement and keeping the engraving plane flatter.
These are real simple, cheap and easy to build items. After doing several Baby spoons and toddler spoon and fork sets they became a necessity as the curved handles got much more involved. No use of pins in vise jaws to hold a S/S spoon or fork that takes more force than standard Silver items.

Hope you had a Great Christmas
Eric

Latest posts

Sponsors