Question: Hello I am new to engraving I need a bit of help

Boomhower

Elite Cafe Member
Hello everyone I am new to engraving I have wanted to do it for years but never had the time but now I am disabled and have way to much time my family is getting me some gravers for Christmas so I can do it buy hand but from what I have read on here and other places is that air assist is the way to go I no I should not even consider cheap tools but right now I don't have no options. My question is on the China machines that are on eBay I no they are probably not the best my question is do they use normal gravers or are there special ones for machines like these. My other question is there a better option or should I just stick to pushing buy hand and I have a chasing hammer on its way for the hard stuff what is the best handle for my gravers I sure don't want to mess them up. My main project's right now is making custom spurs and knives then move to guns once I get it good enuff lol I am sorry for the long post I just have a lot of questions. Thank you all for your time

DanM

Elite Cafe Member
Almost everything you would need is answered in the "Tips Archive" at the top of the page.If you need more exact answers to specific questions,ask them.

Boomhower

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks. I been going threw them I looked at the ngraver I may just see what I can do to get one of there set ups.

Silberschweif

Elite Cafe Member
hi,
if you want to buy an airgraver test them out first. GRS has workshops or other engravers where ever your location is... May you can find someone at your location where you can test some engraving stuff.
don´t buy too fast first think about what you want. Hammer and Chissel are working for cheap and you can get realy beauty results with them. sam has a view videos about hammer and chissel engraving.
the best tool for engraving is the cheapest pencil and paper.
i dont have mutch money too but i got my grs gravermate for only 300€ at this forum in the buy and sell section it takes a time yes but if you dont have mutch money and a lot of time it´s the best way to go

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Whatever you do, don't waste your money on Chinese knockoffs on eBay. Hammer & chisel is a very effective way to engrave, so pursue that until you can buy a quality pneumatic system, if you want to. You might like hammer & chisel so well that you continue to engrave that way. If you beat the bushes and keep your eyes peeled you'll eventually find an old Gravermate like Silberschweif did, or an old Gravermax classic. They don't last long on the used market so you have to act fast. As in any internet purchase, exercise caution.

Roger B

Elite Cafe Member
Like so many others who are new to the fora you have not listed your location. It is a little hard to offer actual help where you can visit a workshop without telling us where you are. If you have been reading the posts from years gone by you will have seen the generous offers from experienced engravers who have been prepared to give their time to new-comers and show the wide range of tools available before you spend your money on something which might discourage you from persevering in the art but that will not happen unless you provide some information of yourself.

Addertooth

I second the motion to watching various re-sell sites, to include Ebay and Craigslist. You will find an occasional pearl at an excellent price. The sub-$300 Chinese engravers have a poor reputation on this site, but there is a lot of strong loyalty to marque brands like Lindsay and GRS here. Even the $500 Chinese model has a very small "zone" where the pedal position goes from barely cutting, to moving the graver bit very quickly. The same kind of "gotchas" exist with the Chinese ball vices; the more pricy GRS model appears to be smoother in motion. This isn't to say some valuable learning can't be done with the Chinese tools, but you will feel the need to upgrade them within 2-5 years.

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
h&c/pushgraving will serve you well, even for a lifetime. the foreign knockoffs- well-- pt barnum once said, "there's a sucker born every minute". no need for you to be one. the magna graver is a well made device. it will go the distance for you. his gravers are also good. as newbies, most, if not all of us have been in your situation. be patient-- it bringeth many rewards. one concept will always prevail-- the tool is not in charge. the person using it is. how's your drawing skills ? many newbs forget about this. it is just as important, if not moreso than tool choice.

Boomhower

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you all very much. Sorry I didn't put in where I am from I am in Seymour,Missouri. It is just east of Springfield. There is a guy who teaches engraving in Springfield he has 5 day classes. I will do like you all say and save my cash and maybe try and go to his school before I purchase a machine. Monk I am a very good at drawing. I started win I was a kid I am also a wood burner and draw most of my patterns free hand I am very glad to finely get to start engraving I have always wanted to give it a try. Thank you all for your help it means alot. I was looking at Lindsey's page and run across there kit for push and hammer work . I thank that will help me a lot with sharping and to keep the right angle's. Thanks again everyone

Boomhower

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks addertooth. I have a crocker style coming. But I thank I like the look Lindsey template's better so I thank I will order the one they have with there push graver set. Is there a profile you like better or ones I should have also. I haven't done much reading into the different styles yet but plan to. Thanks for the help

gcleaker

Elite Cafe Member
Welcome Boomhower you have a great advantage as that you have the gift of drawing, some people like me have just started to learn to draw. I am out of Jefferson City MO. It will be nice to have a friend around if you know what I mean. I will suggest that you buy a copy of, the art of engraving by James Meek. I have been engraving for a less than a year and it seems that no matter what other books come along I am always rereading this book, yes I have many books, I may be a little thick but at least I know what chapter I need to go too find the answers to most of my question now. Somehow Mr. Meek was able to put it all to gather in one book. I will also tell you to look for the little success in the beginning of your cutting and build from there. Lots of practice plates, I started cutting with copper, I went to a local sheet metal shop and told them what I was doing and looking for. When I go back to them they have a few of these just waiting for me. The owner has asked me to cut on one of his rifles but I know in my heart that I am not ready, so I tell him that I do not want to ****up his gun. The archives are loaded with info you just have to dig a little bit to find what you are looking for. I also use Plex fittings to practice cutting on round surfaces. They are not too pricey and save me a lot of time. Someone here states “cut an inch a day if you want to learn to engraveâ€￾ no truer words than these are hard to find.

Roger B

Elite Cafe Member
If I have said it once I must have said it a dozen times, as a learner I would avoid the traditional type of graver and opt for the square shaped gravers if only for ease of sharpening in the GRS setup or the Lindsay templates. The Crocker I think had it's place but has been superseded if you want repeatable angles on the gravers. Traditional gravers have their place for specifics such as liners or curved gravers in concave shapes but generally I would choose the square cross-section. These will also be interchangeable between the push, H & C or the air-powered set-ups.

Roger

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If you are going to build your tool collection,I would start with a nice quality vice... I'd go with an engraving vice for its use w pushing, but hammer and chisel is (a qualified) way easier.

Sponsors