FEGA site hacked?

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
google it, go to it and see what you get...

I sent a student there for castings and he tried to go in that way. Google has that hacked message and says the page is redirected in a way that won't work.

I went back in through the members door with no problem.

B.

Says he's using Firefox as a browser. Maybe that has something to do with it?

Last edited:

Andrew Biggs

Mmmmm.........I see what you mean Brian. The message comes up when you do a Google search. The web site itself seems to be functioning properly. It is only on the Google listing that the message appears.

The operative words are "may be"

I've sent an e-mail off to the relevant people and it will be looked at to see exactly what is going on and why.

When we have some answers I'll get back to you about it.

Cheers
Andrew

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I went back in through the members door with no problem.
It worked OK for me. However, I'm somewhat confused. It lists the membership under "The Engravers" button. That listing shows 50 regular members and 42 master engravers. You aren't listed, nor did I see Andrew anywhere. Is it possible that the total membership is only 92 people, or are there gross omissions in the membership list.

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mmmmm.........I see what you mean Brian. The message comes up when you do a Google search. The web site itself seems to be functioning properly. It is only on the Google listing that the message appears.

The operative words are "may be"

I've sent an e-mail off to the relevant people and it will be looked at to see exactly what is going on and why.

When we have some answers I'll get back to you about it.

Cheers
Andrew

Andrew and I have spent a lot of time on website issues.
Bill Gamradt and Rex Pedersen do a lot of work on the site behind the scenes.

As to the message on GOOGLE It has been this way a long time and i have brought it up to our web guys more than once.

Apparently, it goes something like this:

This is some kind of old page out on the web somewhere , picked up by spyders and other web crawlers that because of the numbers of hits on it, overshadows our actual page.

The base of the problem I think is very few people actually go to our page directly by typing into the address bar, but Google it, which takes you to this link which says " Site may be hacked" which raises its ranking even further in the searches.

"We have Top men working on this, Top men."
- Government bureaucrat in Raiders of the Lost Ark, haha. . .

But seriously, this is not an easy deal to fix, because it is more of an issue with GOOGLE than the actual FEGA site.

In fact, the FEGA site, though always in need of updating, works pretty darn well.

We are working to improve the FEGA site, and hopefully will have some options at the next Board of Directors meeting.

Last edited:

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It worked OK for me. However, I'm somewhat confused. It lists the membership under "The Engravers" button. That listing shows 50 regular members and 42 master engravers. You aren't listed, nor did I see Andrew anywhere. Is it possible that the total membership is only 92 people, or are there gross omissions in the membership list.

My understanding is that when you click on the engravers button, and go to the Regular engravers, it does not list the entire membership, as there are many who may wish to be private, but instead lists those who have asked to be listed.
The same is true for the Masters.
Our current membership is 508, 25 international, and 483 in the good ole USA.

Andrew Biggs

Thanks for the explantation, Barry.

I haven't dissapeared. I'm under the regular membership and the officers page :) FEGA's membership is roughly about 500 members from memory.

Not everyone wants to be listed on the web site for various reasons..............if you want to be listed and have photos of your work then you have to log in and ad your details, photos etc etc. This is carried on when you pay your annual subs otherwise you are automatically dropped off. (I think I've got that right)

Maybe another article in the magazine is due in the future to remind members about this feature.

So all in all, everything is working as it should with no dramas so we can all keep calm and carry on :)

Cheers
Andrew

Latest posts

Sponsors