Help, please: New to metal engraving...

Admiral Tuck

Hello all from the wonderful (sarcasm) state of Alabama (US)...lol, I have been carving wood for many years when I decided to try it with metal. I've found through many searches that there are very few books and even less videos (with proper help)...but, I digress...I've started working on Hobo Nickels and have made 3 (an alien skull, Jefferson skull, and Darth Vader (fav)) and am working on my 4th (small flower my wife draws on EVERYTHING!!!!...anyhow, I don't have a lot of money at this time, so I looking for household chemicals that will "age" or darken/ blacken the coins after I've engraved them? Thanks for the help and advice...I'm going to be spending ALOT of time scanning posts...Peace be with you all and Merry Christmas!

Admiral Tuck

Hi, thanks...I live in the very small town of Goshen. Near Troy...if you look at a map of Alabama figure 45 miles due South of Montgomery...

Eggs? The whites or yolks? I've tried different concentrations of nitric acid, all it does is eat the coin...I have hear people that some have used liquid gun blue to do it, but I don't know if it's true or someone messing with me

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
birchwood casey might work on the hobos. it's very good for antiquing brass & copper. i think some have used a tiny bit of oil followed by a gentle heating with maybe a candle or such. don't experiment on one you've finished. experiment on one not worked yet.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Birchwood Casey Perma Gun Blue Paste works on nickels.

Welcome to the Cafe and good luck with your engraving. :tiphat:

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Simple, cheap and in your house already.

Try a paste made of boiled egg yolk if you need a sulfide. Warm the coin and wrap it in the paste.

Ammonia on a cotton ball sealed into a Ziplock bag with the coin will probably give you various greens from the vapor with nickel. I know it does with copper and brass.

Experiment with the time frames... hours, days, a week?

Brian

Somewhere, I have a list of formulas for homemade patinas, should I run across it in the next few days I will post some more.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors