Motorized Turntable

1911maker

How useful would a motorized turntable be for engraving with a vise mounted on top of it? Perhaps it would simplify do scroll work? I was thinking that I could make one with a DC motor, rheostat, and 9" metal platter.

Thanks!

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Not very useful in my opinion, you might have soft areas and hard areas in the item your engraving thus your speed changes, I would stay away from that idea and learn to turn it by hand or feet as some have done

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Been done - w/forward and reverse knee switch... it is indeed useful, if you do a certain kind of work.

Look up Bryan Bridges, Tempe, AZ. At one time he was making them for sale. Dunno if he still does? Been many years...

Several engravers of shotgun receivers are currently using them...

Brian

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I'm not sure if I could use a motorized turntable, but I'd be willing to try it. The rate of my vise rotation varies slightly as I'm engraving, depending on material, resistance, whether it's curved or flat, etc. I'm not sure a constant speed would work. I don't know if Bryan Bridges' was variable or constant.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I believe it could be set to work either way - fixed speed or variable... but it has been so long that I cannot remember for sure.

Maybe someone on here has got one and will respond?

Brian

Scroll down... http://www.airgraver.com/engraving_vises.htm (Says it does hand, foot, motorized fixed and variable)

"<Contact Bryan Bridges for more information.
Phone: 480-345-7424
Email: brysculp@gmail.com>"

Last edited:

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
I've used gear motors, as you describe, DC and rheostat controlled. They've been smaller, in size, and the experience was NOT good. They sound like coffee grinders, with some gravel thrown in. When sitting at the bench, you don't need a rock crusher next to you. Perhaps there is a noiseless design out there, but I'm not familiar with it. In view of that, and until I see a super quiet gear motor design somewhere, I won't be making up anything any time soon. The variable speed units I've used are far from quiet.

airamp

Elite Cafe Member
Hi,

I used Brian's Turntable it is variable speed, reversible all with a foot peddle and very smooth.

Quite nice.

AirAmp

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If its been that long that people have trouble remembering them that should be an indication of how useful they are.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Nope, it's just been that long since I was in Arizona last...

Like I said, there are a couple shotgun engravers that use them on a daily basis, and I think there's someone in the Southeast who does silverware on one.

They are out there. When I used one for a couple hours, it struck me that they would be great for production work.

And whatever motor was on Bryan's made little or no noise - nothing like a rock crusher.

It was a really slick, smooth setup.

When you see a lot of "stuff" and talk to enough people and add a little age into the equation - there are occasionally some leaks...

Brian

My theory is that when your memory bank gets full, things start to overflow - and you don't get a choice as to which things. In fact, you don't even know they are gone until you go to try and use them!

Last edited:

Silberschweif

Elite Cafe Member
The easyest and cheapest way to try is to build a turntable wit footcontrol for use under the microscope. Only a slow motor with foot control for forward and back and a little rubber wheel set on the outside of the turntable.
So you an use the turntable from grs or every other brand or a diy ...

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
I have sat and used Bryan's turn table too, like Airamp. At the time it worked for me...as I have grown in skills and moved past practice plates it would not work for me now. Anything with a convex or concave area would a bit of a challenge. At least thats what I recall....been a few years plus :)

Donny

Latest posts

Sponsors