Help, please: Have you ever??

griff silver

Elite Cafe Member
Ive got a Henry bigboy im about to cut. Removing the barrel is problematic for me. im going to a gunsmith in the morning.If he cant do it for me Im going to have to engrave it with the barrel in place has anyone done a rifle with out removing the barrel?

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Griff,I have engraved rifles with the barrel on the receiver easier to engrave when off,you'll need to remove the bolt and all the all other parts before removing the barrel.J.J.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i have done several (completed) front stuffers.. these i would do standing up-- no vise. long days ago somebody showed a turntable with a cutout in it. not sure i'd care to work that way, but he seems successful using it.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I wouldn't even consider cutting a rifle receiver with the barrel still in place if scrollwork was involved. How can you cut smooth concentric spirals with two feet of barrel sticking out. The drawing in your other post that shows a set up to clear the barrel but it does not take into account that there is no cut out in your body when the barrel swings your way.

speeedy6

Elite Cafe Member
I remember seeing a photo on the web somewhere of the engravers vise mounted on the wall. It looked like he was pretty comfortable standing up and cutting.
The barrel would swing like the hands on a clock.

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
My advice is you should remove the barrel. I've engraved a lot of caliber and gunsmiths logo on barrels for a local custom maker and it is not easy, as the barrel has no way to traverse my rather large belly; gets in the way every time! Don't make the job worse than needed.

Bil

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I remember seeing a photo on the web somewhere of the engravers vise mounted on the wall. It looked like he was pretty comfortable standing up and cutting.
Now there's something to consider very interesting concept.

MICHAEL

Elite Cafe Member
Best to have your gunsmith remove it. Magazine is very easily damaged as it is attached to the barrel.

RDP

Elite Cafe Member

I think this is what you are referring to?
thanks for the reference, this is something to have in mind, you never know when you're going to need it, :thumbsup: and a big thanks to John B for sharing this idea,

Richard

http://www.engraverscafe.com/showthread.php?612-A-Vertical-Or-Horizontal-Vise.&

Sponsors