Curved Surface

SalihKara

Elite Cafe Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Hi,

How do you engrave on curved surfaces,

Do you use different graver than your regular graver used on flat surface or all same ?

Best Regards

Choppers_rule

Elite Cafe Member
For inside ring curve, you may need a bent graver. All other curves I use regular graver but I'm not an expert.

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
Denny is right. For a concave curved surface you need a tool with lots of lift and perhaps bent to clear obstructions. For convex surfaces the normal gravers work fine. They both take a lot of practice to get accustomed to engraving. And a lot of body English.

oiseau metal arts

Elite Cafe Member
Denny is right. For a concave curved surface you need a tool with lots of lift and perhaps bent to clear obstructions. For convex surfaces the normal gravers work fine. They both take a lot of practice to get accustomed to engraving. And a lot of body English.

and occasionally some French.

monk

Staff member
any time you do the curves-- try to cut a bit on some scrap or whatever that has a similar curve to it. when you feel you found the groove, go to the real deal.

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The engraving technique for curved surfaces is exactly the same as for any surface: the graver tip is in the exact same relationship with the surface no matter the what shape it is. The tip doesn't know if the object is curved or straight, only your mind does that. Keep the cutting tip perpendicular and straight (side to side relationship) in the channel and all should go well. To do that, though, you will find it necessary to manipulate the object being cut to ensure the proper contact points. It takes extreme concentration and observational skills to do it and only time and practice will help you become familiar and comfortable with it.

Bill

SalihKara

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for your helps.

Now I am very good at convex surface but I am still very bad at concave surface, what kind of graver do I need, I can not buy any bent graver because they are not sold in my country but I can sharpen it if it is something that I can do by myself

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You should be able to cut more or less as normal as long as you are cutting down hill. Tougher the further towards the middle you get, and can't cut uphill without special tools.
Sure. Make the bend in your shank an arc like _n but with a bigger n. You an make the arc that youcan positin your hand so that it is actually a little below your work surface (if the shape of your object allows such positioning) , and you can actually cut up hill. There will be some natural limitations to how big an object you can work on in this way.

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If your normal lift/heel is 15', try doubling it to 30'. For every degree you add to the heel take one off the face.

Sponsors