Ivory Eagle & Snake stocks $15

CENTAG

I hope Hand Engraving includes Ivory carving. If not I apologize.

Short and to the point. Over the weekend I bought a Colt Cobra revolver with aftermarket grips/stocks. In pencil on the rear of the grips was a price of $15.00

However knowledgeable Colt fans ensure me that they are indeed Ivory. The do pass the needle test.

What can I learn about these high relief carved beauties.

1 Where on the continuum from novice/apprentice to experienced craftsman might the carver be?

2 Can the age be estimated?

3 Does the style fit into a genre or type?

3 Where might they be from? China, India, Japan or USA?

4 Any possibility that the carver might be known?

5 I do not know if it proper to ask this question. People have offered me $400.00. Is that too low or not?

6 Should I buy lottery tickets to see how far my lucky streak takes me ;)

Thanks in advance for any information.

CENTAG
trolleyguy@hotmail.com

Last edited:

DanM

Elite Cafe Member
I see no "schreger lines" so it probably is not elephant/mammoth ivory. A "hot needle" test proves little,just that it isn't plastic. Eagle and serpent is usually a Mexican motif. Carving is simple,no way near expert.

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
Your grips look quite convincingly to be ivory. They may, or may not, be. I have a scrimshawed whale's tooth that passed the hot needle test, but, upon closer examination, I conclude that it is not. I would never sell it as 'genuine', and will use it for display only. There are some excellent counterfeiters out there who should ply their trade in legitimate areas. I have a legitimate piece, though, from an umbrella that is genuine. It devastates a hacksaw blade, passed the needle exam, and has the herringbone pattern throughout. This is why I don't buy ivory.

CENTAG

Don't hold back tell us what you really think.

if the gun was loaded, might make a nice paperweight !

Ouch!

Anti gun left wing liberal? Or just against gun violence. I hope it is the latter. If so then we both agree. Seeing the terrible things happening recently I certainly can understand that. We all are hurting at some level.

Peace,
CENTAG

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors