Looking for grips

JMiller

Elite Cafe Member
I am looking for grips for a Bond Arms Derringer? I found some mammoth ivory already made that I may go with but looking for something darker, any suggestions and a link?.... I would prefer not to make them but am not opposed if I need to. I have searched and can't quit find what I want.

Thanks for any help!

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i'm thinking the knife making suppliers will have just what you're looking for. give some of them a holler.

MICHAEL

Elite Cafe Member
Jantz has a very wide variety. Black buffalo horn is an option they have. 1 set should give you 4 sets maybe more. Good luck, especially if you've never made grips before. It looks easy in theory, but very hard to do right. I find it easier to make grips from black buffalo horn than walnut. Easier to shape and especially easier to get a final finish. It's good to get a couple of sets in case the horn has hidden cracks in it. You usually don't find those until you're almost done. I've been lucky so far.:shock:
Good luck!:thumbsup:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
You can get a great finish using stabilized wood or bone with a lot less work than natural wood. Fred

the stabilized mtl is unaffected by changes in humidity. ivory is a bugger with drastic changes in humidity. not sure if horn has that problem.

Sponsors