Building and Engraving a .375 double barrel rifle

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
Monk; Thank you very much. I am not sure Sam approves as well; and I am limiting my progress posts. I am now contemplating what kind game scenes of wild boars that I want to try to engrave on the action, as well as a general plan for the engraving. I will take suggestions quite readily.

just continue what you have been doing. you almost give me the urge to try this. maybe in the next life!

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
I don't envy you in the test firing phase of the endeavor. Years back, I purchased a custom rifle in the old .375 Weatherby calibre. Before I acquired new Weatherby brass for my own reloads, I bought a box of .375 H&H factory loads for some fireforming, which turned out OK. The rifle was featuring a Mauser bolt action, and both loads mentioned are nothing short of brutal. I don't envy anyone on the firing range. The 'fun' side of firing the creation can subside rather quickly. Also, your engraving is nothing short of superb!

monk

Staff member
i must say this has been the most interesting, as well as informative post i think that has ever graced the forum pages. and finally, some engraving. just beautiful-- start to finish.

highveldt

Elite Cafe Member
I have completed the engraving, barrel rib stippling, graying of the action and fore-iron, butt and fore stock work, and leather covered a Pachmyr De-accerator recoil pad. This week I expect to begin rust bluing the barrels after finish polishing with 1000 grit wet/dry paper; and blacking the sights with not bluing that produces a strong black color.

I have attached photos to illustrate and since there are 9 photos I will place them in two post, maybe 3 if I over run the posting capacity.

SL76.jpg SL77.jpg SL75.jpg SL74.jpg SL78.jpg

highveldt

Elite Cafe Member
Sam;

Thank you for allowing me to show and tell this undertaking, which turned out to require much more time than I thought for the actual building of the barrels and regulating them. Another project using the same methods would take about 50% less time now that the lessons learned have been absorbed.

Regards;
Steve

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Absolutely a fantastic thread. To see you go through all of these steps on your own is highly commendable to say the least.I vote to have this thread saved for posterity and grand recognition!!!

Jerry K

Elite Cafe Member
I would agree with Silverchip and the other forum members that your build is truly professional and demonstrates a superb level of artistic craftsmanship. Well done!
Jerry K.

Dr. P

I just found this thread by Steve. He is a member of our Vintager group here in Charlotte and has been bringing the rifle in to show us at our monthly dinner meeting about every other month. The pictures provide great background and detail to the process, but actually handling this piece and talking to Steve as he has built this gun has been extraordinary! It has been the highlight of our group's year. It is almost a finished product. I can't wait until next month's meeting!

monk

Staff member
in additional to all that's been said, you're also a darn good shooter. i think we all owe you three cheers for a job well done !!

highveldt

Elite Cafe Member
I just found this thread by Steve. He is a member of our Vintager group here in Charlotte and has been bringing the rifle in to show us at our monthly dinner meeting about every other month. The pictures provide great background and detail to the process, but actually handling this piece and talking to Steve as he has built this gun has been extraordinary! It has been the highlight of our group's year. It is almost a finished product. I can't wait until next month's meeting!

Dr. P

Thanks for your kindness. Here is the finished product:

Steve SL85.jpg SL84.jpg SL83.jpg

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Beautifully crafted and quit educational-thank you very much for taking the time and effort to include us in your project. Now if you get started on another set of barrels in a different cal. followed by another set you could have a life's work lined up. Sort of the Contender of custom double guns. Wonderful work thanks again for all the explanations and work that went into your presentations. Fred

Latest posts

Sponsors