Stainless sheet 13 GA

Thierry Duguet

Elite Cafe Member
Hello,

I am looking for a sheet of stainless steel 13 Ga. I need something ACTUALLY stain resistant (I bought some which start rusting within a year) it does not need to be big maybe 12 X 12 but it need to be real stainless. Any help tip would be welcome as I, obviously, have no idea as to what to buy.

Thank you

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have had good luck with (Speedy Metals. Com) no min size friendly folks and will advise on the type of metal for the application. (Online metals )is Ok also.
Cut2Sizemetals.com has lot of info on their web site on stainless. I have never purchased from them. Good Luck

Last edited:

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stainless just means stain - less
Not stain proof.
316 has a very high resistance to corrosion.

Last edited:

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I happened to find some stainless counter tops that were discarded because the building was being converted to a retail store from a restaurant. Given the wide variety of stuff that is cut and prepared on them without any visible staining, I would say that is the material you are looking for. I had them bent and welded into bluing tanks.

henningssom

Elite Cafe Member
I use 416 SS for my knife handles. Never had any corrosion problems and it's great to engrave.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
www.mcmaster carr will sell 1 piece or a million to individuals. they are very prompt in shipping. many metals, including ss can be bought in foil thickness on up.

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
With regards to finding a corrosion 'proof' stainless steel, I checked out the matter of 'passivation', which is used in the industry in matters of preventing galvanic reaction of stainless steel. If you would google in, "passivation for stainless steel", and look for the site within, amongst a few others, of "mmsonline.com", probably most of your questions can be answered. Possibly, you could do the technique at home. I've seen products that were passivated, and you couldn't tell that a treatment was done. If that happens in all cases, I don't know. But, it's worth some reading over, and maybe it'll work for you.

rayf24

Elite Cafe Member
As an ex sheetmetal worker and also had own business fabricatiing food and pharmaceutical equipment.
316 and 304 is the most common good stain resistant food grade
301 or 302 is often used on kitchen sinks
But check 321it is highly resistan and also one of the only thing is pure Dettol will pit a polished surface.
What are you actually using it for ??

Last edited:

Thierry Duguet

Elite Cafe Member
I made a pendant, a gold inlay dog portrait, I thought that using stainless steel would be safe but it came back lately the back is heavily pitted and the front just a little but too much to live with. It was polish, both sides, around 1200. I did re-polish the thing and now I have to redo the shading, as I know that it will comeback, when it start to oxidize and that, therefore, will have to make a new pendant, I wish, the second time around and for future project, to utilize a more satisfactory support. I have been reading about stainless and I thought to use 316 or 410 next time, I did not see anything about 321i, I also need to be able to find in 13 gauge, it is the internal size of the bezel, any opinions?

oiseau metal arts

Elite Cafe Member
if its just going to be a piece of jewelry.... 410 or 416 should do just fine. easy to get.... engraves well.

but if wanting something more "nonreactive"..... id think titanium, or platinum.

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
Something just came to mind which wouldn't post earlier, for some reason. You mentioned". . .came back heavily pitted. . .". and this suggests, to me, that it was returned after the customer wore it. If so, the reverse touched their bady, but not much for the obverse. I knew two people who had such a body chemistry that nothing they wore would escape destruction, one of which was my late Mother. She couldn't wear a wristwatch, as the innards looked like you pulled it out of the ocean. Possibly the 'passivation' technique MAY prove of some value, in this regard. Also, it might be good to ask the customer if they have a problem with wearing jewelry. The perfect material doesn't exist, and pure gold is out of the question because of cost. I'd like to know if it's possible to deal with this problem.

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
To correct, I meant, to touch their "body", as in the neck area, or any other skin contact scenario.

Latest posts

Sponsors