Question: Enset vs. AirGraver vs. NSX Presto Rotary

1911maker

Hello, I'm new to this marvelous forum. As a quick intro, I'm in the software industry but enjoy building 1911s (pistols) in my spare time. I've taken advanced machinist courses and dabble in art as a painter and a sculptor via sand castings.

I want to do high relief engravings on the 1911 slide where you remove the negative space to create a "simple" image while incorporating functional components like the cocking serrations as part of the art work. I've never seen that done before. Just trying to do something different than the traditional gun engravings or gold inletting. I would be removing about .040" from the slide to create the high relief image.

I've been reading all sorts of postings here and other engraving sites trying to figure out which engraver will do the best job for me. I've read great things about Steve Lindsay's AirGravers, an engraver from Enset, and a NSX Presto Rotary engraver.

From your experience, which engraver is better suited for making high relief artwork in Stainless Steel and 4130 Steel?

Is there anything else I should know as part of the decision making criteria like "are you nuts attempting to do this"... certifiably yes! LOL

Many Thanks

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
"High relief" has been done probably as long as hand engraving has been done. Originally with hammer & chisel & push gravers...

The tools you choose aren't going to matter as much as the skills you have to learn to make the tool do what you wish to create.

There is no shortcut, so settle yourself into the right frame of mind for a long haul.

One other technique you might want look at would be etching? You will see some pretty deep relief obtained by that method as well - either alone or used in combination with engraving tools.

Take a look at Phil Coggans work with gravers and Antonio Montejano for acid etching to give you an eyeful of as good as it can get.

To specifically answer your question - there is no perfect tool or method. Only "almost perfect" skills combined with tools...

All 3 tools (and quite a few more) can be used in producing the result you are looking for.

Brian

Last edited:

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
1911 Maker,
Quote....." I would be removing about .040" from the slide to create the high relief image."

Be careful removing that much metal on the front of the slide where the barrel bushing locking slots are cut on the inside.
You may be seriously weakening the firearm's lock up and/or seeing daylight through the slide in that area.
Someone could get badly hurt.....Consult a knowledgeable gunsmith please.
John B.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I agree with both of the above Phil, Ken and Marcus Hunt use etching to remove background as a mater of course and Antonio Montejano does all his artwork with what he calls strong water. John is sure right in there is a lot of machining on the inside if a slide which you well know. Etching sure seems like the logical method to get the deep relief. the Air Graver, Enset or any of the the GRS models will get you the fine detail with practice, practice and more practice. Fred

monk

Staff member
practice ? who needs practice ? you'll find it quite easy to ruin a great gun without much practice. the rotary tool has a place on most benches. but few rely on such for removing backgrounds. with a bit of dexterity c oupled with the correct gravers, one can level a background just about as fast as with the rotary tool. the rotary loves to jump or crawl up and over sharp corners. this can bring disaster to an otherwise nice looking job. as far as comparing the power toys-- they all will do what the owner of said tool asks them to do. after a lot of practice !

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
1911Maker,I would recommend you remove the background with a single point graver by cross hatching ,one slip with the rotary tool and your going to spend hours trying fix the damage if it fixable,take your time. J.J.

1911maker

Great thoughts everyone! I will heed your advice and start with hand tools. I just ordered a chasing hammer, chisels, and gravers to practice with from Gesswein. I chatted with a well known engraver or specializes in deep relief and he looked at my artwork that I want to recreate on the slide. He told me what specific tools I needed to do the deep relief. Can't wait to get practicing on some aluminum plates that I have at the shop!

Cheers

Latest posts

Sponsors