Question: LASER transparency sheet transfers?

Addertooth

I suspect, but cannot say for certain this method will work........
1. print design on transparency.
2. attach a sheet of parchment (or other paper) to the non-printed side of the transparency. (the purpose of the paper layer is to prevent melting the plastic-like transparency layer)
3. Get a small iron from a model airplane shop, the sort which is used to apply and shrink "monokote" skin on model airplanes. Get the one with a variable temperature control.
4. align sheet over metal where you want the transparency, printed side in contact with the metal.
5. run the iron over the paper side, adjust the heat until you get a transfer, but not so hot you melt the plastic transparency sheet. (once you really nail down the temperature setting, you may not need the paper layer).
6. gently lift the transparency.
or.....
Find an old Alps printer, which used the wax dye sublimation printing process, print with one of those and burnish.

Last edited:

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
on a related note, i've been wondering about making my own semi-transparent transfer sheets for a laser printer by wiping drafting mylar (the kind with one etched matte finish side) with silicone oil. the oil would make the matte finish almost transparent and, in theory, should allow the printed toner image to release onto the metal surface. my online search is inconclusive as to whether mylar will withstand the heat of a laser printer. some say no, some say no problemo. anybody got a cheap or old printer they don't mind risking a meltdown in?

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It can be done with a laser, I've practically read every post on here, what you need to do is eliminate the heating element on the printer, not completely eliminate it but bypass it, the printer and software must think it has reached its proper heating temperature. If you just eliminate it, you will get an error and will not work, it has been done and it's here on the forum pictures and all, or on Lindsay forum, not sure which. NOW how you do this is best left to a technician, don't want to be responsible for something burning to the ground. If I have time tomorrow I'll look for it.

I think it just hit me like a ton of books..;)

I think it's covered in Roland Baptiste book, I could be wrong but I can almost pinpoint it. Can someone that has it on hand look it up. You see how buying books really helps.

Last edited:

Joe Jacob

Modifying a laser printer is covered in the Roland Baptiste book.
He covers the modification of one model printer, but the technique can be applied to other models.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
The purpose of modifying the laser printer is to print without the design fusing to the transparency sheet, right? If that's the case, then printing on baking parchment should produce the same results since the toner is loose and not fused.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
I kinda liked that idea of using a vehicle dashboard for the transfer process...

At least until I went out this morning - and realized after I scraped the ice off the windshield, that it would be a "seasonal" tool.

I mean - everyone has a car, right? Not everyone can afford a $40 printer... (or hundred dollar+ cartridges)

You could just go down to Kinko's, scan and print your job. (if they didn't throw you out for experimenting with stuff that melted in their machines)

Fix it to your work piece, lay it up on your dashboard and go do your other shopping.

When you came back you'd have a solar powered transfer.

Ah well, on to the next idea...

Brian

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The purpose of modifying the laser printer is to print without the design fusing to the transparency sheet, right? If that's the case, then printing on baking parchment should produce the same results since the toner is loose and not fused.
Sam,

Yes same results, the only difference would be that you would not have to buy any specific transparency any brand would work unlike the laser technique that is picky, 2nd is placement, with a totally clear transparency it is much easier and my preferred method.

airamp

Elite Cafe Member
Hi,
If alignment is the problem put tick marks on your metal and on the print. once on the parchment line up the tick marks and you should have the transfer where you want it on the metal..
Airamp

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
my online search is inconclusive as to whether mylar will withstand the heat of a laser printer. some say no, some say no
Mitch,
Back in the late 80's I had a large, office grade Minolta copy machine. I frequently used it to print overhead projector films that I used in my classes. The films were just clear plastic which I assume were mylar. It had no ill effects on the films when printing them and I assume the copy machine process is similar to a laser printer. The films were specifically for that purpose. I still have some of them and they also work great in my inkjet printer.

JohnR

Elite Cafe Member
Hello Sam, as a retired copier technician and access to many different kinds of copiers and transparencies I have not found a good way to transfer laser toner on transparencies to metal. Although very simple at first glance there are so many obstacles to overcome. Mainly modern day laser toner is designed to withstand time. Once fused to paper or transparencies the toner is hard and will not distort for a long shelf life. I believe lawers/gov. had something to with this. HA! I have given up and am content with my Epson S041064 ink jet method as I have enough to last me my lifetime. Good luck......JohnR

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Hello Sam, as a retired copier technician and access to many different kinds of copiers and transparencies I have not found a good way to transfer laser toner on transparencies to metal. Although very simple at first glance there are so many obstacles to overcome. Mainly modern day laser toner is designed to withstand time. Once fused to paper or transparencies the toner is hard and will not distort for a long shelf life. I believe lawers/gov. had something to with this. HA! I have given up and am content with my Epson S041064 ink jet method as I have enough to last me my lifetime. Good luck......JohnR

John: Acetone does the job nicely, but as you know, it can't penetrate through transparency sheets like it does through paper.

There has to be some kind of solution we can paint on metal that will cause the toner to release from transparency sheets and stick to the metal like it does with paper transfers. And it can't be wet...it needs to be dry enough to be able to get into position carefully before burnishing.

tdelewis

Elite Cafe Member
Wow! so many of you responded. The toner in a laser printer is a fine plastic powder and is attached to whatever you are printing on by an electric charge. It is then melted by heat to make it stick. If you have needed to remove a sheet before it goes through the heating process you will find that it is easily smeared. The reason acetone works so well is that it will penetrate the paper and dissolve the plastic. If it is possible to get a transparency sheet you are printing on out before the heating process and not smear it I'm sure it would transfer well, but I don't know if that is possible. If you acetone with a transparency it would not penetrate or melt the sheet. I think that is common sense. Maybe there is someone out there with the technical know how to shut off the heating step in the printing process. Then you might have something. I would see if anyone out there could take an old printer and try this. Otherwise I've found that the Prismacolor process to be the best.

The parchment paper process works because the paper is coated with silicon causing the printed material not to stick to the paper.

pmace

Elite Cafe Member
Just a thought...make the transparency film act like silicone parchment paper. A thin coat of dry silicone spray (food grade, pure silicone, no oil) should have enough tooth to let the toner set up in the fuser but be slippery enough to let it be burnished off. Grainger no. 12R252 ($9.14) seems to fit the bill. I'm going to give it a shot on my next Grainger order.

vdrum4250

Elite Cafe Member
maybe the search for a less opaque parchement paper would be the ticket. because i like parchment paper but wishged it was less opaque to allow me to see like transparencies.

Karlspinks

In regards to the parchment paper being too thin for your printer do an eBay search for silicone paper for iron on transfer. These sheets are designed to go through a printer and come in a4 pre cut. They must be thicker GSM. They go through my printer fine without any backing. I use a brother printer

tdelewis

Elite Cafe Member
Silicone release paper can be found in craft stores. It is not transparent but will let you see through it somewhat. There is so much information about transfers on the Café that If this were a good option someone would be shouting eureka!! I have found it.

Latest posts

Sponsors