Question: Muller carbon steel Liners

RDP

Elite Cafe Member
Hi good people :), can some one tell me if it is best to quench these in oil or water, when re-hardening please,

Thanks,

Richard.

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Morning Richard,
I use water for the hardening first quench , then bring it up to a light straw and requench in water to temper.
It's about time to post some more pics of your Winchester. ;)

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you Brian. I've never used them bent. I can see where that might be useful in some application, but not so much what I do. My liners are used mostly on western bright cut, on outside curved pieces.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Carlos, most of the jewelers use them straight for Florentine finishes and such. Also wriggled for a quick and dirty "frosted" look.

There are a few dozen/hundred? more jewelry suppliers than engravers suppliers.

Fred, I like the NGraver liners best - simply because the quality remains the same throughout ALL of them.

Unfortunately, they do not make really wide liners or really narrow liners. ie - 6/3 or 32/10 equivalents...

The Mullers are sometimes "twisted" a bit when you get down into the 6/4 range. I use those for a lot of block style lettering.

PITA to keep turning the fixture just a tiny bit to allow for whatever quirks a particular graver has in order to keep a square face...

Brian

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
Just curious as to why the need to re-temper? I've always used them just as the come, with a rounded face.
all serve very well for jewelry and soft metal. some should be retempered if
you want to use them on hard stuff.

spadebit

My home is in the central California mountains, a
About liners

The beauty of buying liners direct from Mueller is that you will be amazed at the selection first off, but also the shapes. Did you know there are actually 3 shapes that can be ordered, straight. curved and bent...and yes there is a difference.Straight has the widest selection of possible line configurations, and if you are not afraid of heating and bending it is the option with the greatest possiblities. Curved, as described, one constant curve from end to end. Bent means that the bend is put all within one confined area and my least favorite graver style, but they can be made to work. NOw too line size and spacing. Honestly they have line spacings that when done look like potato cultivators, and then right down to hair lines. They have always been very helpful at Muellers whenever I have called, and as long as you are willing to buy 2 of any special order, they are quite willing to make it.

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well I guess I better chime in here!!!
I buy straight liners and bend them to my will!!! As far as tempering,heat treating I have used a little oil floating in a glass olive jar for this but mostly I will just use water for convenience sake. One little extra step I use is after hardening I will etch them in acid to remove the scale and then polish them so I can watch the color and clean the lines of scale before they are put to use. It also helps to pre-grind the top off the tool so it will bend easier as well as retain less face to grind when resharpening, hope this helps, good luck!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Sponsors