Need some english scroll tips/instruction

williamph

Hi, I am interested in learning english scroll, but to me its deceptively difficult. I looked for a copy of Marcus Hunts dvd/book but to no avail. So, with that could someone give me some pointers? what graver geometry are you using? i pretty much get the general shape of the scroll but the plunge cut part (not sure if this is the term) of the scroll evades me. So whatever ya got lay it on me, any books or dvds or anything helps! thanks

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Castings beat images hands down!

There is a casting by Marcus I believe? on the FEGA website. Get one.

It is probably the absolute best way, barring access to the book & DVD...

There is no substitute for holding a copy of the "real thing" in your hand & putting it under whatever magnification you are using!

Images - no matter how good, can't match being able to see the work done at actual size and compare the depth of cuts and angles with what you are trying to learn/match.

Brian

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
There is a casting by Marcus I believe? on the FEGA website. Get one.

It is probably the absolute best way, barring access to the book & DVD...

There is no substitute for holding a copy of the "real thing" in your hand & putting it under whatever magnfication you are using!

Images no matter how good, can't match being abe to see the work done at actual size and compare the depth of cuts and angles with what you are trying to learn/match.

Brian

Brian, you could have your own wing in the Tips Archive. Thanks for all the great information you share.
~Sam

Thierry Duguet

Elite Cafe Member
I think that a more pertinent question would be, what type of English scrolls do you want to execute, as strange as it may sound, yes, there is more than one type, from the "large" royal to the tiny "Purdey", each of this type of English style (not just this two) are done differently, as for the geometry, I do not think that it was, ever, the main concern of anyone doing the actual thing. Engraving is more art than engineering.

williamph

Thanks for all the replies, once I get to scratchin a little more I'll put some pics up but I can promise it ain't gonna be pretty.
I suppose the style I'd like to get into would be the English small scroll

Latest posts

Sponsors