Question: I want to start silversmithing

I want to try my hand at silversmithing. Mainly western buckles, conches, and saddle "bling". I would like to know where to start. I would like to start in-expensive as possible to see if I like doing it. Any advice is appreciated.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
First add your location to your profile...

Second, if you are close to north central California, call, set up a time and come look at a working shop.

If you are lucky, you might hit a day when I am doing exactly what you you wanna see... and I can talk about the stuff while I work.

Brian

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have helped a few along the way, still do. Start with making a few pieces for fun and post them, ask for critiques and grow from there. Call me or PM me for help as you go along, I like trading advise for fishing and hunting advise and locations!!!!

reesawood

I am a silversmith. I would recommend if you can taking a continuing education class at a local college- that's how I got started. Or taking a lesson somewhere, I suppose.

The initial setup is quite an investment if you intend to get your own equip. (hammers, saw, files, torches, etc etc etc). Maybe you can find a co-op shop where you can use their tools. I use an oxygen/propane torch ( the smith little) and I love it, though there is a lot you can do without heat, like making hammered things. Hope this is helpful.

Latest posts

Sponsors